Back to past seasons

First team match reports 2010 /2011

Sat 14 August - Upton 2 Helsby 2 A  Scorers D.Andrews P.Broster.    Adam Bedford returns home and Richard Dermott and Steve McGowanmake welcome debuts. An even contest until 38 minutes when Uptonawarded a penalty. The keeper saves the Simon Andrews penalty butbrother Danny reacts first to score. Helsby draw level within fiveminutes of the second half and take the lead on sixty six minutes. Within minutes of coming on as a substitute Paul Broster, with a fine individual run and shot equalises for Upton. The remainder ofthe match is closely fought and ends a deserved draw.  Team :  Bedford, Dean, Rowlands, Kelly, Cossins, Dermott, Brown,McGowan, S.Andrews, D.Andrews, Denham.  Subs; Bishop, Broster, Sharpe.

Wed 18 August - Blacon 0 Upton 2 - Scorers ; D.Andrews , S.Andrews.    During a hectic but scrappy first twenty minutes Upton begin to press, but squander a number of reasonable chances. The game continues without any pattern established by either side although Upton attack  more and Shelton remains untroubled in goal. Just on half time Simon Andrews is fouled in the box and brother Danny converts the penalty. The second half continues much as the first with Blacon resorting to hopeful long balls with which the defence copes. Simon Andrews claims a second goal ,which Matthew Crank makes doubly sure gets in the net. The Blacon side of whom seven played for their reserves on Monday, typically carry on with determination and hit the crossbar. The match ends with a disputed penalty for Upton and a sending off for Blacon. Not pretty but a win.    Team ; Shelton, Dean, Harrickie, Kelly, Briscoe, Dermott, Brown, McGowan, S.Andrews, D.Andrews, Broster.          Subs;  Bishop, Crank, Sharpe, Carter.

Fri 20 August - Upton 2 v Willaston 2    Scorers; C.Bishop. M.Crank.  Heavy rain in the hour before kick off made for a fast slick playing surface. A competitive and open first thirty minutes was ended with a well taken opening goal by Carl Bishop, starting up front for the first time. Willaston replied on forty minutes with a deflected shot from outside the box. Just before half time a fine header from Richard Mottram hit the Willaston post and  the opposition squandered a clear opportunity after Adam Bedford failed outside the area to intercept a through ball. At half time Upton lost Robbie Dean and Ben Briscoe with injuries .John Harrickie and Andy Lloyd coming on as replacements. Within minutes of the restart Matthew Crank put Upton into the lead with a shot from an Andy Lloyd header. Soon after Willaston were reduced to ten men after a heavy challenge on Matthew Crank who suffered concussion, Lewis Carter substituting. After seventy five minutes Willaston equalised again with a penalty. With Paul Broster limping both sides were now effectively reduced to ten men, Upton having already used three substitutes,  Team; Bedford, Dean, Briscoe, Kelly, Smart, Broster, Mcgowan, Mottram, Brown, Bishop, Crank.     Subs; Harrickie, Lloyd, Carter.

Wed 25 August - Upton 1 Christleton 3     Scorer D.Andrews. After a subdued and scrappy first twenty five minutes Christleton scored from a fine cross and well placed header. The remainder of the first half continued with no real chances for either side. At the beginning of the second half  Upton used D.Andrews and S.Denham as substitutes, both having arrived late from work. On ten minutes into the second half the Upton number 10 directed a cross over the bar from 5 yards,a rare opportunity lost. On fifteen minutes Danny Andrews, aware of what was all around him, beat the keeper from 25 yards with a clever lob. But within fifteen minutes Christleton scored two more goals in five minutes both from Nathan Freeman the former Upton striker. The first a fine through ball with active attackers offside, ignored by the linesman. The second, another through ball, with the Upton defence outpaced. In an attempt to reply in the last minutes Upton threw players forward but few chances were created. Throughout the game the opposition slightly outpaced the Upton side.   Team; Bedford, Dean, Smart, Lloyd, Kelly, Harrickie, Brown, McGowan, Bishop, Crank, Carter.     Subs. D.Andrews, Denham, Walsh.

Sat 28 August - Upton 1 Southport Trinity 1 - Scorer S Andrews.  Both sides missed clear opportunities in the opening minutes. On five minutes J.Harrickie narrowly failed to contact a hard driven cross from R.Smart. For the most of the first half the whole Upton eleven failed to make allowances for a strong following wind and balls were repeatedly overhit. Eventually five minutes before half time, S.Denham hit the first accurate cross and S.Andrews headed in over the Keeper into the far corner. Early in the second half Southport equalised. A misunderstanding between central defender and keeper on the edge of the box resulted the ball running loose and in an attempt to retrieve Adam fouled the Southport forward. Few clear chances were created in the rest of the match and a second headed goal from S.Andrews was disallowed and two attempts from S.Rowlands went just wide. This draw felt like points lost.  Team; Bedford, Denham, Smart, Lloyd, McGowan, Kelly, Harrickie, Dermot, Andrews, Rowlands, Carter. Subs. Brown, Bishop, Jackson, Crank, Price

Wed 1 September -  Vauxhall Res. 2 v Upton AA 1 Scorer; R.Brown.  The first half brought a series of chances to both sides, but Upton's were probably the clearer. Within 5 minutes an excellent through ball from Jackson was picked up by D.Andrews and with only the keeper to beat he slid the ball past the post. But 10 minutes from the start Vauxhall head a goal from a free kick on the edge of the box. They were to continue to trouble the Upton defence in the air for much of the first half. Steve Finlay, making his debut, had two half chances within minutes of each other. The game continued end to end and Vauxhall had a header cleared of the line. Finally on 35 minutes Brown scores a spectacular goal with a right footed shot from fully 30 yards curling into the top corner. Within minutes Vauxhall shoot narrowly wide and Bedford saves a one on one. The second half opens with fewer attacks at both ends, but D.Andrews is denied a penalty. On 15 minutes Jackson makes a desperate tackle inside the box to deny the opposition a second goal. Immediately after a bouncing backpass to the Upton keeper is mis-kicked and the ball falls to Vauxhall for a tap in. Upton reply with a shot from Finlay but the shot is blocked by the keeper's feet. With 20 minutes left of the second half Upton are reduced to ten men, D.Andrews receiving a second yellow card. Even a man short Upton share territory, but despite substitutions fail to get the equaliser.  Team; Bedford, Jackson, Smart, Briscoe, McGowan, Kelly, Bishop, Harrickie, Finlay, D.Andrews, Brown.  Subs; Carter, Rodgers, Sharpe.

Sat 4 September - Upton 3 - Marshalls 1. A comfortable win for Upton. Simon Andrews scored from the spot after 7 minutes and again twenty minutes later - this time a lovely chip over the opposing keeper.  On 38 minutes Upton scored again - a header from a corner via Steve Finlay. Upton failed to score again and went down to ten men in the last few minutes with Marshalls scoring from the resulting penalty.

Sat 11 September - Upton 2 - Marine Res 0. An all round good performance and two goals from Steve Finlay secured the points for Upton. Steve Finlay chipped the opposition 'keeper on 28 minutes and added a second on 52 to cap a fine individual performance.

Sat 25 September - Upton 1 - Ellesmere Port 1. Upton opened the game in charge and for 30 minutes pressed Ellesmere Port into their own half. No clear chances, however, were created and the opposition gradually made for an even contest without troubling the keeper until 5 minutes from half time a through ball beat the Upton defence and with Adam Bedford stranded, the port striker hit the post. The ball was scrambled away by the defenders. The second half continued to be disappointing with neither side able to keep possession or establish any chances. Finally a long ball over the top defeated the Upton defence and the opposition striker struck the ball past a helpless keeper. Despite substitutions and changes up front Upton continued to make little impression on a confident defence and did not ever look like scoring. Finally with only minutes left, Steve Finlay was brought down in the penalty box. Reg Smart's penalty was well parried by the keeper, but fortunately Carl Bishop followed up first and calmly controlled the ball before scoring. A scrappy performance from both sides, in which there were very few shots on goal and few players excelled. Scorer Bishop.  Team; Bedford, Jackson, Kelly, McGowan, Smart, Broster, Harrickie, Dermott, Brown, Finlay, Carter.     Subs; Bishop, Dean, Wright.

Sat 2 October West Kikby 2 Upton  0. It was to prove unfortunate that some seven first team squad members were unavailable for this fixture against a leading league club in West Kirkby.The home side opened their account with an unstoppable shot from outside the box. They also continued to deny Upton time and space especially in mid-field. Opportunities for the Upton forwards were thus limited throughout the first half. The second half proved little different and West Kirkby added a second. Despite the defeat Upton at no time were entirely outplayed and the younger team members were competitive throughout. Michael Hughes made a convincing debut at full back as did Liam Gough when called on as a substitute.Team; Bedford, Hughes, Smart, Lloyd, McGowan, Dermott, Harrickie, Kelly, Bishop, Finlay, Brown.   Sub; Gough, Wright.

Sat 16 October  Christleton 1 Upton 1. It proved a fortunate coincidence that a late fixture change should place the first match after the news of Barry Gaulton's sudden tragic death away to local rivals Christleton. With the sympathetic support of the Christleton secretary Terry Foulkes both sides observed a minute's silence and wore black arm bands as a mark of respect. For some the match was overshadowed by the absence of Barry. The first half was competitive and at half time honours were even at 0 - 0.For the first 30 minutes of the second half Upton were in the ascendancy but were rewarded with only the one goal, a fine looping header from Steve Finlay. Yet in the last quarter Christleton fought back well and Upton survived a series of attacks and were unable to retain any sort of ball possession. Christleton scored the increasingly inevitable equaliser.  Team; Bedford, Hughes, Smart, Lloyd, McGowan, Dermott, Harrickie, Kelly, Andrews, Finlay, Brown.     Subs; Bishop, Crank, Gough, Crank, Richards.

Sat 23 October    Upton 0  Ellesmere Port 4.    Any hopes of a Cheshire Cup run ended in the first half. Two penalties were conceded in the first thirty minutes, a hand ball on the edge of the penalty area and a mistimed tackle ten minutes later. Upton did also have chances. A Steve Finlay shot was deflected wide followed by a Stuart Denham volley narrowly over the bar. Ellesmere Port, however, came even closer on 38 minutes when a fierce shot was brilliantly touched onto the crossbar and out by Adam Bedford. A third goal came before halt time from a break down the left side of the Upton defence an early cross and a simple tap in. The second half started no better as after a defensive error let the opposition in only to miss from 10 yards. Frustration and ill discipline contributed then to three Upton second yellow cards and only eight players on the pitch. Substitutes Bishop, Crank and Carter contributed well to a rearguard action and Ellesmere Port were able to add only one further goal. Team; Bedford, Hughes, MacGowan, Depuis, Smart, Harrickie, Denham, Dermott, Brown, Andrews, Finlay.  Subs; Bishop, Crank, Carter.

Sat 30 October Marshalls 4 Upton 0

Sat 6 November Upton 1 v West Kirkby  5

Sat 13 November - Pyke cup - Helsby 1 Upton 3 - The match began well for Upton with two well taken goals in the first twenty minutes. The first in five minutes, when a precise early pass from Steve Finlay to Simon Andrews was coolly slotted beyond the keeper into the right hand corner. The second on twenty minutes, a long free kick from Steve Rowlands led to a Helsby defensive error and Steve Finlay calmly slid the ball into the corner of the net. There followed a prolonged period of Helsby possession and pressure on the Upton defence. A string of Helsby attacks were just kept out, but Upton were unable to retain the ball. Finally Helsby scored with a free header five minutes from half time. At this time manager Dave Wright, playing in place of three suspended first team members, was substituted nursing lungs and legs. Just on half time Steve Finlay scored a third, a spectacular overhead volley from just inside the box leaving the keeper helpless. Early in the second half Reg Smart narrowly missed and Helsby hit the post and mid- half scored but were narrowly ruled offside. This proved to be the last of their chances and in the closing minutes a Ryan Brown hooked volley was tipped over and Simon Andrews had a shot well blocked from an Upton corner. An altogether hard won victory, by the whole squad.   Team; Bedford, Dean, Rowlands, Wright, Lloyd, Kelly, Bishop, Crank, Andrews, Finlay, Smart.   Subs; Hughes, Brown, Gough   Scorers, Finlay 2 Andrews 1.

Sat 20 November - Marine Reserves 1 Ė 2 Upton AA  Goals from Matty Crank and Steve Finlay sealed a deserved victory for a hardworking Upton AA against Marine Reserves. After 21 minutes Matty Crankís headed goal from 6 yards put Upton in front after a slick move down the right channel and pin point cross provided by Patrick Walsh. Marine Reserves tried to push for an equaliser however a resilient defence and dogged hard work by the midfield restricted Marine to only a handful of chances. After the break Upton kept the intensity high and put pressure on the back line of Marine Reserves with Reg Smart shooting across goal and just missing past the right hand post. Uptonís pressure was rewarded on 68 minutes as Will Kellyís smart through ball put Steve Finlay through on goal. Steve Finlay calmly slotted home to double Uptonís lead. With Marine pushing for a goal themselves the game became more open. Marine then scored with a smart turn and shot finding the bottom left of the Upton goal to set up a tight finish. Marine again looked dangerous minutes later however Adam Bedford saved well from the Marine strikerís attack on goal. With Upton players starting to show the effects of a hard fought 90 minutes the final whistle blew giving Upton AA all 3 points at a very cold Arriva Stadium.


Sat 11 December - Upton 2 Cammel Lairds 1. In  the first twenty minutes Lairds missed two opportunities, one a narrow shot passed the post and the second a save by Adam Bedford from point blank range. Immediately after these escapes Upton take the lead with a powerfully hit free kick by Steve Rowlands deflected past the Laird keeper. Within minutes Adam Bedford makes two excellent saves in the same attack and saves a penalty. Within five minutes Lairds are awarded a second penalty and score to equalise. Before half time Steve Rowlands, staying up front having taken a corner, hits a half volley from 18 yards past a helpless keeper. The second half begins with Lairds dominating possession for considerable periods but unable to create any clear chances on goal. Upton meanwhile, although resolute in defence, prove unable to keep the ball and build attacks until Simon Andrews on twenty five minutes heads just wide. The match continues with little goalmouth incident at either end with Upton apparently content to sit back and defend. In the last quarter the only chance for either side falls to Steve Finlay who is just wide from a Simon Andrews break and cross. A second consecutive hard fought narrow win without ever dominating play. Much was owed to Adam Bedford's performance in goal and Steve Rowland's visits to the opposition's half. Happily treatment for his nosebleed after the match was successful. Team; Bedford, Rowlands, MacGowan, Cossins, Walsh, Brown, Kelly, Andrews, Bishop, Crank, Finlay, Crank. Subs; Denham, Dermott, Gough, Finch.  Goalscorer; Rowlands 2.

Sat 8 January - Upton 0 Vauxhall Motors Res 2. Two goals in three minutes put a halt to Uptonís winning streak and handed victory to Vauxhall Motors Reserves. Vauxhall Motors Reserves started well and caused problems for the Upton back line with good movement down both flanks. Following a good move down the right Vauxhall drew the foul and Upton gifted Vauxhall their first goal allowing the striker a free header in the box from the resulting free-kick. Two minutes later with Upton attacking Vauxhall broke from their own box and with good counter attacking football they found the gaps between the Upton defence and released the striker for a confident finish between keeper and near post. Upton finished the half stronger however rarely working the goalkeeper. After the half time interval Upton shored up their defence and started positively. Vauxhall enjoyed the majority of the possession however Uptonís hard work closing the ball down prevented Vauxhall from playing a good passing game. With both teams evenly matched the game closed out with Vauxhall settling for a good win away from home.

Sat 5 February 2011 - Willaston 1 Upton 2    After three consecutive defeats and on a rain affected surface, Upton dominated the first 30 minutes of this visit to Willaston. The whole team combined in quick intelligent passing and continuously threatened the Willaston defence. The first chance fell to Mike Garrod, whose fierce shot from outside the box hits the upright only to rebound into a beaten keeper's arms. Within a minute a headed cross by Simon Andrews skims the crossbar. Willaston continue to be pinned in their own half with little or no possession or relief from pressure. However, in the last 15 minutes of the first half the contest becomes much more even and the Upton defence is at least tested for the first time. On 40 minutes Willaston conceded a penalty against Simon Andrews who scores from the spot. Within minutes and just before half time a Simon Andrews shot is brilliantly saved by the Willaston keeper. During the break Upton supporters judge the team performance in the first half as good, with some individuals having performed better than any time in the season. Willaston, however, start the second half with much more determination and soon hit the base of an Upton post. Territory is now shared and the whole game changes. Upton, nevertheless, continue to create some clear chances of their own. On 60 minutes Mike Garrod outpaces the defence but shoots narrowly wide. Will Kelly mishits a chance created by Sean Finch. The score remains at 1 - 0 and Willaston press for 15 minutes aided by a rash of misplaced Upton passes and lost possession. Yet again Simon Andrew's determination proves crucial as he drives into the penalty area and provides a simple tap in for substitute Steve Finlay. With only 5 minutes remaining the result would appear to be in no doubt but Willaston score close to the final whistle which brings relief to some. Team; Bedford,  Hughes, Smart, Lloyd, McGowan, Kelly, Garrod, Denham, Andrews, Finch, Brown.  Subs; Harrickie, Finlay, E.Dunning, Walsh, Freeman.  Goal scorers; Andrews, Finlay.

Sat 12 February 2011 - Helsby 1 Upton 1  - awaiting match report

Sat 19 February 2011 - Pyke Cup - Newton 4 Upton 3 Newton's pitch was unplayable and this Pyke Cup fixture was switched to the County Sports Club. Both sides opened determined to play attacking football and exchanges were even until after 25 minutes Newton scored with a shot from the edge of the area which hit a post and rebounded into the net. On 40 minutes the Upton keeper clearing a harmless long Newton through ball, hit an attacker 5 yards away and the ball rebounded for a simple tap in. At half time Newton appeared comfortable sitting on a two goal lead, but a couple of early substitutions and a change in formation produced a real change in Upton's fortunes. After 10 minutes of Upton pressure Mike Garrod is fouled after driving into the Newton penalty area. The resultant penalty from Simon Andrews is saved but he scores from the rebound. Within minutes Garrod chases down the right and crosses for Steve Finlay to score with a diving header. The game continues end to end and Upton concede an needless penalty and Newton score to retain the lead at 3-2.Adam Bedford saves well from a fierce Newton shot across the goal, but soon after Newton manoeuvre the ball cleverly in the Upton penalty area and unchallenged score a fourth. Despite the two goal deficit Upton press harder than at any other time and a succession of chances are to follow. Steve MacGowan has a shot parried and after a succession of corners Andy Lloyd heads just over. Steve Finlay fails with a half chance and John Harrickie has yet another shot saved. Finally Steve MacGowan scores and Upton continue to press for an equaliser with Mike Garrod hitting the side netting in the final seconds. So near to a draw but the side end with no advance to any Cup competition.   Team; Bedford, Rowlands, Lloyd, MacGowan, Hughes, Brown, Denham, Finch, Smart, Andrews, Garrod. Subs; Finlay, Bishop, Harrickie. Scorers; Andrews, Finlay, MacGowan.

Sat 5 March 2011 Upton 2 - Newton 2 Having lost narrowly 4-3 to Newton in the Pyke Cup only a fortnight earlier Upton started the first half of this league match as if determined to outplay Newton. For 15 minutes Upton moved the ball well retaining possession for long periods, but although continuously in the Newton half only one chance fell to Mike Garrod who was just wide with a header.

Eventually on 25 minutes Upton were rewarded when Garrod driving down the Newton right chipped a cross for John Harrickie to score. Close to half - time Garrod again drove through the defence and squared the ball for a Ryan Brown tap in. At the interval Upton deserved its 2-0 lead. Newton, however, were not finished and pressed immediately the second half began and kept possession much more than in the opening 45 minutes. Twice Adam Bedford is called upon, first to anticipate a long through ball and then to tip over a fierce shot. Then on 70 minutes Newton score from a weak shot which goes through the Upton keeper. As the match progresses Upton fail to retain the ball and a series of aimless clearances and passes gift possession to Newton. The only threat to the opposition goal comes when substitute Nathan Freeman outpaces the defence only for his shot to be blocked by the keeper's feet. Finally 10 minutes from the end an optimistic Newton cross is deflected into his own net by an unsighted Andy Lloyd. The use of 3 substitutes and formation and positional changes in the final minutes fail to produce any signs of a winning goal for Upton and the match ends with the feeling that 2 points were lost.Team; Bedford, Hughes, Rowlands, MacGowan, Lloyd, Denham, Harrickie, Finch, Andrews, Garrod, Smart. Subs; Freeman, Brown, Dunning, Bishop.  Scorers; Harrickie, Brown.

Sat 19 March 2011  Upton 1- Maghull 2 - Upton started impressively with a goal in the first minutes. Simon Andrews broke into the Maghull penalty area outpacing defenders and slotted the ball past the keeper into the far corner. Upton remained on the attack and an intelligent throw into the penalty area from Ryan Brown gave Reg Smart an opportunity, but he shot into the keeper's arms. On 10 minutes Simon Andrews headed a cross from close range only for the Maghull keeper to make a fine reflex save. The remainder of the first half is characterised by scrappy play from both sides as players fail to control a lively ball on a firm pitch. Maghull rely on long balls missing out an Upton five man midfield but Ellis Dunning and Steve MacGowan cope well with long high balls. The second half continues much as the first, but Maghull gradually gain the territorial advantage and any home attacks become less and less frequent.10 minutes into the second half Upton just manage to scramble away a dangerous corner and finally on 20 minutes Maghull equalise when a long cross is headed on and a volleyed unchallenged leaving  Adam Bedford helpless. Maghull continue to rely on long balls, Adam Bedford saves at the near post, Steve Rowlands recovers well from a miskick to block a resulting shot and Mike Hughes later clears a shot off the Upton line. Ellis Dunning continues to make a series of headed clearances but eventually Maghull take the lead from a long throw, a flicked on header and a goal from close range Attempts in the last 5 minutes to gain an equaliser prove fruitless and the Upton side lose by a single goal for the fifth time in the season. Team; Bedford, Rowlands, E.Dunning, MacGowan, Hughes, Finch, Brown, Garrod, Harrickie, Smart, Andrews. Subs; Kelly, Fellows, Wright. Scorer S.Andrews.

Sat 2 April 2011 Ellesmere Port 1 Upton 2 With seven of the first team squad unavailable and only one substitute, those reserves who did make themselves available were to be tested. The match began well when Nathan Freeman latched onto a clever through ball from Mike Garrod ,outpaced the centre half and scored from an acute angle across the keeper into the far corner. All this happened in the second minute and was the best possible of starts. The remainder of the first half was end to end, but the Upton defence was resilient and conceded few clear chances. In attack Ellis Dunning headed over from a Reg Smart corner, Mike Garrod had a fierce shot saved and from another Nathan Freeman quick break and cross  Sean Finch mishit a volley. Early in the second half Jamie Price makes an excellent save low down to his right, a save that was to prove crucial. However Ellesmere Port soon equalise from a cross flicked on for a volley past a helpless Upton keeper. Apart from a cross shouldered over the bar Upton's chances remain limited until Mike Garrod is tripped driving into the penalty area. Reg Smart scores emphatically from the resulting penalty for Upton to retake the lead. The opposition continue to strive for an equaliser but the whole Upton side work hard to deny them possession and obvious goalscoring opportunities. Late in the game Nathan Freeman continues to threaten but shoots wide and Carl Bishop shoots narrowly over from the edge of the penalty area .All the eleven worked hard for this result none more than Ellis Dunning, MacKean and Carl Bishop. Steve MacGowan directed well throughout. Team; Price, Hughes MacGowan, E Dunning, Rowlands, MacKean, Garrod, Finch, Smart, Freeman, Bishop Sub;C. Dunning,

Sat 9 April 2011 - Upton 1 Heswall 3. For 20 minutes the sides are evenly matched, but soon after Heswall breech the Upton defence on the break and open the score. Upton soon equalise when Ellis Dunning scores from 6 yards following an Upton cross. The first half continues uneventfully until on 40 minutes Mike Garrod mis-hits a one on one well over the bar. The second half sees Heswall take the lead again when a long ball down the middle beats the defence and the attacker lobs over the advancing Adam Bedford. Seconds later Steve MacGowan concedes a penalty as the last man and is red carded. Heswall take a 3-1 lead from the resultant penalty. With 10 men Upton continue to compete but never look like reducing the deficit. Team; Bedford, E.Dunning, Lloyd, MacGowan, Rowlands, Denham, Kelly, Garrod, Smart, Freeman, Andrews.  Subs;Wright.

Mon 11 April 2011 - Upton 1 Blacon 2. With a strong following wind the first half was characterised by a string of careless missed chances by the Upton side. Before taking the lead on 15 minutes, Steve MacGowan had a free kick tipped over, Nathan Freeman had spooned a clear chance wildly over the bar and Andy Lloyd had headed over. Finally a long ball defeats the Blacon defence under constant pressure and Nathan Freeman lobs past the keeper into the far corner. The game continues as before with Upton squandering chances and Blacon on the retreat. The second half begins more evenly and on 20 minutes Adam Bedford fumbles, attempting to stop a corner and is eventually beaten by an outstanding Blacon shot from distance. Encouraged, Blacon see the possibility of a first win of the season, but still Steve MacGowan and Danny Andrews have shots well saved. Worse to follow on 40 minutes a long high Blacon through ball confuses the defence and the attacker lobs over the advancing Adam Bedford for a 2-1 lead. In the final minutes Upton press again, but important saves by the keeper and determination by the Blacon defence secure a win. As in the defeat on Saturday too many of the Upton side were careless in front of goal and some unable to recover from previous commitments.     Team; Bedford, Lloyd, MacGowan, E.Dunning, Rowlands, Kelly, Rodgers, Smart, Freeman, MacKean, Fellows.  Subs; Denham, S.Andrews, C.Dunning.

Sat 23 April 2011 - Southport Trinity 4 Upton 2. The first twenty minutes were notable for few opportunities on a hard playing surface devoid of grass. Southport opened the scoring on 20 minutes when from a corner an unmarked forward nodded the ball down for a fierce volley above Jamie Price's head into the net.  The remainder of the first half continued with neither side able to establish any continuous possession. The second half continued in the same vein until on 65 minutes a cross from Simon Andrews is headed cleverly into the far corner by Reg Smart for an Upton equaliser. However, within 5 minutes Southport Trinity take the lead again when a mistake down the right side of the Upton defence results in a cross to the penalty spot and a shot past a stranded keeper. Soon the defence stops to appeal in vain for offside whilst the attacker walks the ball into the Upton net. Sean Finch restores the score to 3-2 with a header and 10 minutes left to play. Yet again a defensive error down the middle from a goal kick gifts Southport a fourth goal and the game ends with a fine save by the opposition keeper from a Sean Finch shot.      Team; Price, C.Dunning, S.Rowlands, Lloyd, E.Dunning, Denham, Carman, MacGowan, Andrews, Brown, Finch.  Subs;Smart, Fellows, Wright. 

Reserve team match reports 2010/2011

14 Aug 2010 - Helsby Res 3 Upton Res 2 - The Reserves opened slowly and defensive hesitancy led to a Helsby goal after only ten minutes. Dave Carman replied with a penalty on the half hour. Immediately after half time Matthew Crank chased a long aimless ball and the Helsby keeper rewarded him with an error.The2-1 Upton lead was short lived and within five minutes Helsby equalised after a string of Upton mid-field errors. The Helsby winning goal came on seventy minutes and a rapidly tiring Upton side had no response.

16 August - Blacon Res 2 - Upton Res 2 - A typically well contested local derby. The Reserves started with only five players from Saturday' squad of fifteen, but opened the scoring with an excellent shot from Kevin Sharpe after fifteen minutes. Blacon replied with a header from a free kick and within another five minutes scored a second but disputed would be offside goal. In an even second half Upton were awarded an equally disputed penalty after seventy minutes. Mike Lewis calmly scored from the spot. In the last twenty minutes the Blacon keeper made two outstanding saves and the game ended a draw. Returnee Ben Briscoe made an outstanding debut as did Luke Jackson on Saturday. The match was spoilt for Upton as Dave Carman suffered a serious injury after only his second appearance and finished on crutches.

21 August - Upton Res. 2 v Manor Athletic 6 . Scorers; Luke Jackson. Simon Andrews.  Despite eight changes from Monday's draw, necessary because of on-availibility of players, nothing in the first fifteen minutes indicated what was to follow. Manor's first goal was from a long goal kick which bounced twice before an opposition forward put it in the net. On half time a second defensive error made for a second. Ten minutes into the second half a long goal kick, no Upton contact with the ball, and a third goal. Despite immediate substitutions, a careless back pass, and a fourth. Manor were now at their most confident and scored a further two. In between Manor's last two goals, Luke Jackson scored an excellent goal from a direct free kick outside the box. Finally Simon Andrews scored a second consolation goal with a header five minutes from time. One to forget.   Team; Price, Griffiths, Thomson, Walsh, Pritchard, Bowell, Jackson, Andrews, Rowlands, Shelton, McGowan    Subs; Bishop, Nelson, Rogers.

23 August - Christleton Res 4 v Upton Res 3 .   Scorers; Carter, Shelton, Rogers. An end to end game of constantly changing fortunes for the Reserves. Upton opened the scoring after twenty minutes via Ryan Brown and Stuart Cossins culminating in Lewis Carter finish. Christleton  equalised on thirty five minutes after a careless loss of midfield possession. The rest of the first half continued to be evenly fought. Half time saw Andy Lloyd substituted [ off to build wings ] a factor which was to influence the result decisively. Mark Thomson was also substituted with a self inflicted injury, which made for a number of positional changes. In the opening minutes of the second half Christleton missed a clear chance and then scored from a penalty. On twenty minutes of the second half the defence was again split and Christleton assumed a 3 - 1 lead. Upton then had their best period of the match and Andy Shelton scored an outstanding goal from twenty five yards. The fight back continued with a Nick Rogers goal from a Ben Briscoe cross. At three all Upton continued to attack but half chances, as throughout the match, were skied. With minutes to go Christleton went ahead again from a poorly defended throw in. A sending off of an Upton defender ended any hopes of a last ditch equaliser. Again seven changes from Saturdays Reserve side, made necessary by player non-availability for mid week matches, was perhaps a factor in the defeat. Team; Shelton, Nelson, Walsh, Cossins, Lloyd, Kelly, Brown, Rodgers, Briscoe, Thomson, Carter.   Subs. Rogers, Price, Depeneo.

27 August -  Mossley Hill Athletic Res 4 v Upton Res 1 Scorer M.Thomson.  A Friday evening fixture in Liverpool and a 6.15 Kick Off proved unattractive to many of the Res. squad who failed to make themselves available. The match started in the worst possible way with Mossley scoring in the second minute. A long cross to the far post was headed in unchallenged. Mossley missed a penalty but added two more before half time. The omens for the second half were not good with a young opposition gaining in confidence. However the Upton team dug in and with the arrival of S.Denham a little steel was added. The second half proved much more of an even contest and despite injuries to P.Nelson and J.Pritchard . Mossley added only one more goal. M.Thomson scored a consolation goal in the final minutes.  Team; Price, Ankers, Dupois, Nelson, Pritchard, Rogers, Walsh. Rodgers, Lewis, Depeneo, Thomson     Subs; Denham, Williams.

31 August -   Upton Res 2 v Capenhurst Res 2     Scorers; M.Williams, K.Sharpe. Another disastrous opening, within 90 seconds the defence on the right evaporates and the opposition score. On 15 minutes the centre forward adds a second from 25 yards without a challenge. Upton now repeatedly attack and the balance of the match changes completely. A whole series of good and half chances are missed. A cross from Sharpe is narrowly missed by Deponeo. The keeper makes two quick saves from Sharpe's shots.  40 minutes a Carter drive from 30 yards hits the crossbar. Cossins narrowly misses with a header from a corner and Rodgers just misses from 10 yards out. Finally 5 minutes from half time Sharpe scores with a fine left foot shot into the far corner. Within a few minutes Williams shoots wide but on half time scores the second. The second half provides fewer Upton chances but Sharpe on 15 minutes breaks through only to shoot wildly. An excellent Carter break from midfield and shot is cleared off the line. Capenhurst gradually gain the upper hand in the last 15 minutes but without creating clear chances. In the final moments Capenhurst head narrowly wide and Upton claim a penalty which is turned down. If only . . . . . . . . Team; Price, Ankers, Rowlands, Depuis, Cossins, Carter, Williams, Rodgers, Sharpe, Thomson, Pritchard.   Subs; Deponeo, Roberts, Lewis.

4 September - Marshalls Res 2 v Upton Res 0. In the first half Matty Crank hit the post and in the second half Richie Deponeo had a stonewall penalty turned down. A goal in each half for Marshalls resulted in a 2 -0 defeat in a match where a draw would have been a fair result.

11 September - Tarvin v Upton Reserves. A solid performance by the Reserves ensured their place in the next round of the Chester Cup. The highlight of the game was a superb strike from 20 yards by Kevin Sharp resulting in the only goal of the game.

18th September - Upton Res v AFC Bebington Res. Upton's first league win of the season. Simon Andrews scored 4 in the first 20 minutes followed by goals from Derek Rogers and Kevin Sharpe. The second half degenerated into a scrappy affair and thoughts of a double figure scoreline receded as the match progressed. Bebington scored a late consolation goal. 

25 September - Ellesmere Port Res 0 - Upton Res 1. A third win in succession for the reserves after a poor start to the season. A good team performance for ninety minutes was finally rewarded with a winning goal from D.Rodgers, who in the final minutes of the match drove forward from mid-field and scored from the edge of the box. M.Hughes made an excellent debut at centre half.  Scorer. Rodgers.    Team; Price, Rogers, Cossins, Hughes, Rowlands, Walsh, Rodgers, Carman, Lewis, Deponeo, Bowell.  Subs; Williams, Clutton.

2 October - Upton Res 4 Merseyside Police 3  Despite late withdrawal of players from both First team and Reserve squads, the Reserves managed a third consecutive league victory with only the manager as a substitute. The reserves were on top for the first 30 minutes but persisted in high balls to a diminutive pair up front against a big defence. On 35 minutes Walsh beat two defenders inside the box to work the ball on to his right foot and placed the ball into the corner of the net. Within the next ten minutes, not content with one goal from mid-field, Walsh had a header and a shot from 20 yards well saved by the Keeper. The second half opens with a fierce shot from Williams hitting the post and within seconds Carter shoots narrowly wide across the goalmouth. Finally Upton are rewarded with a second goal when Cossins heads a fine goal from an excellent Bowell corner to make for a 2 - 1 Upton lead. Minutes later Williams has another attempt narrowly tipped over and immediately Kieran Richards scores a third from a corner and a scramble in the six yard box. Against a big defence the youngster making his debut never gave up. At 3-1 the reserves should have been comfortable but after carelessly losing possession in mid-field the Police score a second and continue to enjoy their best spell of the match. Fortunately for Upton the Police score an unlucky own goal from an optimistic Upton cross. Still not assured at a 4 - 2 lead the Reserves concede a third goal with a lob over a stranded keeper. The final five minutes of the match are spent on the defensive and a sigh of relief at the final whistle. Perhaps the winning margin should have been greater but the Reserves had fielded encouragingly their youngest side for some years.  Team; Price, Rogers, Pritchard, Cossins, Depuis, Walsh, Carter, Carman, Richards, Williams, Bowell.    Sub; Clutton.

9 October - Upton Res 2 Ashville Res 3. The Reserves began promisingly with a goal on nine minutes after a long high Upton clearance leads to an Ashville error and Will Kelly scores at the second attempt. The game continues to be evenly matched until the half hour when Ashville are awarded a penalty and convert it well. Within five minutes the Res. go into a 2 - 1 lead after a header from a corner is parried by the opposition keeper only for Andy Lloyd to follow up and tap in. The Reserves then narrowly escape an equaliser when a careless backpass leaves keeper Jamie Price helpless, but Stuart Cossins clears off the line. Eventually Ashville equalise with a free header from a free kick outside the Upton penalty area. The second half sees the Reserves establish no discernible pattern of play creating few passing movements and few even half chances. Ashville take the lead after uncertainty in the defence, the ball is lost for an Ashville tap in. Strenuous efforts to gain an equaliser are relatively easily contained by a strong and increasingly confident Ashville side and the match ends in defeat after three encouraging league wins.  Team ; Price, Rodgers, Rowlands, Lloyd, Cossins, Bishop, Walsh, Rodgers, Kelly, Sharpe, Brown. Subs. Pritchard, Carter, Crank, Deponeo, Williams.

16 October  - Upton Res 3 Christleton Res 2  -- match report to follow

23 October - New Brighton Res 7 Upton Res 1  -- match report to follow

30 October - Upton Res 0 Ashville Res 10 -- The match remained competitive for barely 25 minutes. Within 10 minutes of the kick off a careless cross field defensive pass was intercepted and Ashville gifted a goal. Two more defensive Upton errors gave Ashville chances which were narrowly wide. A penalty on 20 minutes gave the opposition a 2 - 0 lead and within another few minutes a headed own goal added to the misery. For the first 15 minutes of the second half the score remained 3- 0,but Upton's busiest player was keeper Jamie Price and the only one to stem  the deluge of goals to come. Gaining in confidence Ashville not only outplayed but outran Upton all over the field. Most disappointing was the lack of determination from the Upton side to keep the score respectable. Team ; Price, Depuis, Cossins, Lewis, Pritchard, Rogers, Carman, Walsh, Carter, Richards, Shelton. Subs; Williams, Nelson, Deponeo.

Sat 13 November - Upton Res 2 New Brighton Res 3 -- Again the Reserves conceded an early goal after poor defensive marking. New Brighton continued to squander numerous chances but finally scored a second on half time. The second half saw Upton looking the better side, but it was 15 minutes before the end before they scored two goals in two minutes. Reduced to ten men Upton conceded a third goal and the opportunity to salvage something from the game was lost.    Team; Shelton, Rogers, Nelson, Rodgers, Depuis, Lewis, Pritchard, Carmen, Roberts, Thomson, Bowell.    Subs; Richards, Shire,     Scorers ; Thomson, Roberts.

Sat 20 November - Upton Res 2 Mersey Royal 3 -- The Reserves atypically started well and in the opening minutes created good chances. After a long run down the left Mike Bowell crossed well for Derek Rodgers to shoot narrowly wide. Immediately after Andrew Roberts hooked a volley over the keeper to go up 1-0.A further chance went begging when a Mark Thomson clever through ball was pushed wide. There followed a 15 minute period for Upton of careless passing and repeatedly lost possession during which Mersey Royal hit the bar and Andy Shelton saved a clear chance. Finally the opponents scored after a long aimless free kick was headed into into our own goal by an Upton player. Before half time things improved, Dave Carman was just wide from a clear chance and an excellent cross from Andrew Roberts was headed wide. Soon after the resumption a fierce Mark Thomson shot was deflected wide by a defender with the keeper beaten. With 25 minutes left an Upton defender was sent off and Mersey Royal headed in from a corner to go into the lead. Although down to ten men the Reserves did break from defence and Mike Bowell smacked a right foot shot into the corner of the net. This equaliser was immediately followed by another Mersey Royal  headed goal. Clearly the Reserves lack the strength to win when playing for the last 25 minutes with 10 men when earlier chances are missed.   Team ; Shelton, Rogers, Cossins, Depuis, Rodgers, Lewis, Carman, Roberts, Thomson, Bowell, Sharpe.      Subs; Nelson, Richards.              Goal scorers; Roberts, Bowell.

Sat 8 January 2011 - Mersey Royal 3 Upton Res 5. The Reserves made what is becoming a typical slow start and were soon a goal in arrears. Fortunately Pat Walsh equalised with a well directed shot. Immediately after half time Mike Lewis put the Reserves into a 2-1 lead with a deflected shot. Soon afterwards a defensive error gave Mersey Royal an equaliser. This was followed by a misplaced Upton back pass and yet another avoidable goal conceded. However from two consecutive breakaways Dave Carman scores two goals in five minutes. Within a few minutes from the final whistle Nathan Freeman scores a fifth to make for an eventually convincing win. Having lost 3-2 at home in November to the same Mersey Royal side, this victory owed much to debuts from Ellis Dunning and Nathan Freeman, who has returned home. Team :Price, Rogers, Dunning, Depuis, Williams, Lewis, Rodgers, Carman, Walsh, Richards. Subs Bowell. Nelson. Scorers - Walsh, Lewis, Carman (2), Freeman

Sat 15 January 2011 - Hoole Rangers 5 Upton Res 1 This Chester Challenge Cup match, having already been postponed twice, went ahead on a heavy pitch. The Reserves with 5 substitutes and no problems of availability performed with little spirit. Hoole punished the Reserves especially down the right hand side of its defence with 3 goals at 15 minute intervals in the first half. At 0-3 at half time the team resorted to a back three and five in midfield. This in addition to the use of early substitutes improved the team who gained some superiority, hit the Hoole post twice but failed to take chances. In desperation to score discipline was lost and 2 more goals were conceded. Finally Upton scored a consolation goal from a penalty. No doubt the worst performance for seasons and one to give reason for change.  Team; Price, Dunning, Cossins, Rodgers, Nelson, Depuis, Carman, Lewis, Bowell, Walsh, Freeman. Subs; Gough, Sharpe, Williams, Rogers, Richards.        Goalscorer; N.Freeman.

Sat 22 January 2011 - Upton Res 1 Helsby 2 With as many as 7 changes from the previous week's heavy defeat against Hoole Rangers, the Reserves conceded a goal within 5 minutes from the start. A long cross from the left was left undefended at the far post leaving Derek Rodgers, standing in for Jamie Price in goal, helpless. However for the whole of rest of the first half the  side played better than at any other time in the season. The Reserves dominated possession and chances were plenty. Twice in the first 30 minutes the Helsby post saved them. Shots were deflected wide and opportunities missed until Nathan Freeman eventually equalised. The first half Upton failure to convert chances proved costly as Helsby scored a second to take an undeserved 2-1 lead. The remainder of the second half provided fewer goal scoring opportunities, until five minutes from full time when Upton were awarded a clear penalty but missed. Reserve team debuts for Mike Hughes, Sean Finch, Lee Wainwright and Matty Crank all significantly strengthened the team, despite the undeserved defeat.  Team; Rodgers, Wainwright, Hughes, Dunning, Depuis, Crank, Williams, Finch, Bowell, Freeman, Thomson.   Subs; Carman, Sharpe, Lewis.  Goalscorer, Freeman.

Sat 29 January 2011 - Merseyside Police 3 Upton Res 1. On a frost affected pitch, the Reserves faced a Merseyside Police side significantly stronger than the team defeated at home in October. Strengthened by the inclusion of Andy Lloyd, Simon Andrews and Mike Garrod the Reserves started well and on 15 minutes the Police keeper saved well from an Upton one on one chance. However, within the next 10 minutes the Reserves conceded 2 goals. The first from a breakaway down the Upton right and a shot across goal which rebounded from a covering Upton defender into his own net. Nevertheless the Reserves continued to attack, despite the considerable Police height advantage all over the pitch. Simon Andrews shot narrowly wide but 5 minutes later scored an excellent individual goal to reduce the score to 2-1.But before half time another Police break yielded yet another goal and in reply Mike Garrod hits the post only for the ball to rebound into the keeper's arms. Despite the 2 goal deficit Reserves continue in the second half to create some chances culminating in a goal strangely denied by the referee. This proves the last real chance for a revival and the Police play out time for a 3-1 win. Team; Price, E Dunning, Cossins, Lloyd, Depuis, Harrickie, Garrod, Carman, Gough, Freeman, Andrews.  Subs; Bowell, Kelly, Rogers.

Sat 12 February 2011 - Upton AA Res 4 - Mossley Hill Res 0  Having lost heavily to Mossley Res. on a Friday evening in late August this match was a test of the extent to which the Reserves have improved. Significantly only four of those who played in August started this game. For the first 15 minutes the sides were even, until Nathan Freeman had a shot tipped past the post and from the resulting corner Mark Thomson heads home. Within minutes Nathan Freeman is again narrowly wide with a left foot attempt and Mike Bowell picks up a mis-hit clearance and calmly scores in the corner. Immediately a clever Upton free kick picks out Freeman whose shot across goal is parried by the keeper only to be inadvertently knocked in the net by a covering defender. This three goal lead flatters the Reserves as Mossley Hill have already squandered two easy chances. Nevertheless Upton continue to come close in the period before half time as first Dave Carman has a shot blocked and Pat Walsh goes just wide with a left footed effort. The second half begins slowly for Upton and what appears an already tiring side concede possession and territory to an opposition still determined to fight. Eventually after a period of defending, the Reserves break quickly and Nathan Freeman seizes on a fourth goal with a fierce shot. Mossley Hill squander yet another chance in the final minutes and the Reserves are fortunate to keep a clean sheet for only the second time this season. As encouraging as this win was the debut of Chris Dunning who made a notable contribution to the defence at left back. Team; Price, Lewis, Rodgers, C.Dunning, Bowell, Carman, Walsh, Williams, Freeman, Thomson, Depuis. Subs; L.Walsh, Sharpe, Eymond-Jones  Scorers; Thomson, Bowell, Freeman, Own goal.

Sat 12 March 2011  Upton Res 2 Ellesmere Port Res 3. The Reserves started the match very much as if they had not played for a month. Ellesmere Port started with confidence and retained possession for long periods without troubling the Upton keeper. Nevertheless the occasional break from defence was promising and Nathan Freeman shot just over the bar in the first 10 minutes and Stuart Cossins headed over from a corner soon after. However, throughout the first half the Reserves were unable to establish any sort of pattern, losing the ball too often with careless passing. Just before half-time a clever Matthew Crank throw in put Nathan Freeman with a chance who again volleyed narrowly over. On the stroke of half time a long Ellesmere Port cross was sliced into his own net by an Upton defender with the keeper helpless. The second half started a little better and after Matthew Crank fought hard again to seize the ball Liam Gough struck just wide. Soon after from an Upton corner Pat Walsh bundled the ball in the net for an equaliser. On 20 minutes into the second half a mishit shot from an Upton corner was cleared and Ellesmere Port took advantage of an Upton defence failing to get back into position and broke quickly to score a second goal. The situation got worse when with minutes left the Port scored a third with an exceptional lob from an acute angle over the keeper's head .On full time Dave Carman  scores from a penalty for a consolation too late for any further hope for an equaliser. Altogether too many of the side showed insufficient heart.  Team; J.Andrews, E.Dunning, C.Dunning, Cossins, Lewis, Walsh, Carman, Gough, Bowell, Freeman, Crank.  Subs; Rogers, Depuis, Roderick.   Goalscorers; Walsh, Carman.

Sat 26 March 2011 Upton Res 1 Marshalls 1 Strengthened by the inclusion of four members of the first team squad, needing a game after absence, the Reserves took on Marshall's Res third in the table. The team took the initiative from the first kick and within 5 minutes took the lead with a determined Andy Lloyd header at the far post from an excellent corner by Steve Rowlands. Further chances followed in quick succession, Ellis Dunning has a shot blocked, Andy Lloyd has a second header tipped round the post, Ellis Dunning heads over from the resultant corner .Upton continue to attack and on 20 minutes Nathan Freman has a clear chance blocked by the advancing keeper. Within a minute a quick break from defence and Sean Finch hits the outside of the post. Gradually, however, Marshalls recover and for the remainder of the first half exchanges are even. The second half begins with the opposition on the attack and after confusion in defence Upton scramble clear. Chances for the reserves are now more isolated, Martin Williams lobs over from a Will Kelly pass and shots are hit wildly over the bar. Both keepers are in form and Steve Rowlands has successive fierce shots parried whilst Jamie Price also saves well. In the last minute Marshalls equalise with a flicked header from a long free kick. A frustrating end to a game of missed opportunities in the first half and some lack of fitness in the second half. Team; Price, C.Dunning, Lloyd, Cossins, E.Dunning, Williams, Denham, Kelly, Finch, Freeman, Rowlands. Subs; Carmen, Lewis, Depuis.

Thurs 31 March 2011 Runcorn 5 Upton Res 0. League leaders Runcorn demonstrated emphatically why they are top of the Division. A young fit side overwhelmed the Upton side for the first half, with running from mid field and repeated attacks down both wings. A succession of goals inevitably followed and it was 40 minutes before the Reserves had a meaningful attack. Under constant pressure and challenge Upton players cleared hastily only for the opposition to seize and hold possession. At half time a 4 goal deficit looked to be at least doubled in a second half. To the credit of the team they were to prove more determined in this second half and the defenders in particular battled continually to keep the opponents out. However, it was Jamie Price in  goal who stood out with a sequence of saves and clearances. Not surprisingly he remained busy throughout the match. Substitutes Pat Walsh and Keen strengthened the side who kept the opposition from another score until the very end of the match. Team; Price, Wainwright, Cossins, E. Dunning, C. Dunning, Williams, Bishop, Carman, Godras, Freeman, Rowlands  Subs; Walsh, Eymond-Jones, Keen.     

Monday 4 April 2011 - Manor Athletic 1 Upton Res 0. Typically a 6.15pm kick off on a Monday evening made for severe problems of player availability, complicated by unexplained last minute withdrawals. As a consequence there were some enforced unusual selections. Adam Bedford filled in at right midfield and lasted for nearly 60 minutes without mistakes and only a few Ali shuffles. David Wright as sweeper lasted 30 minutes before a hamstring injury ended his comeback. Despite all this the first half hour was end to end without either side creating chances. A scare came when Bedford made a desperate last minute tackle on the edge of the box and Jamie Price cleared well. It was 35 minutes before the Reserves had a shot on goal when Will Kelly played a clever through ball for Steve Rowlands to drive narrowly over. The second half continued much as the first with much effort by both sides but no goal opportunities. Gradually the Manor side mounted more and more attacks but the Upton defence repeatedly held out with much determination. With 20 minutes left to play all the effort to secure at least a draw against a Manor side at the top of the Division, seemed in vain when the referee awarded a somewhat dubious penalty against the Reserves. Fortunately the penalty was driven wide and it seemed a goalless draw was inevitable. In the gloom of the final minutes Manor finally scored with an attack down the left a short cross and a tap in from inside the six yard area. Without exception the Reserve side had given 100%. Team; Price, Wright, E.Dunning, C.Dunning, Bedford, Kelly, Carman, Godras, Bishop, Rowlands, Walsh.  Subs; Wainwright, Bowell, Lloyd.

Thurs 7 April 2011 - Hale Res 1 Upton Res 1. With both sides at the wrong end of the Third Division this match had more significance than the normal end of season mid -week encounter. Once again late withdrawal of players was an embarrassment and the Reserves fielded only one substitute and he a player scheduled for an operation. The game opened on the retreat and on 7 minutes a mishit Upton clearance fell to a Hale player who hit the outside of the post from just inside his own half. The first quarter was characterised by a string of misplaced Upton passes and after the first series of intelligent play an Eymond-Jones shot was comfortably tipped over. From the resultant corner Ellis Dunning headed just wide. On 30 minutes another attack down the Hale left made for a desperate Upton tackle and a penalty was awarded. Fortunately the penalty was driven wide. Hale were soon awarded a second penalty and this time Adam saved well, Within minutes an unnecessary attempt at a flicked back header to Adam Bedford in goal fell well short and he advancing well out of his area failed to clear an awkward bouncing ball. The Hale forward walked the ball into an empty net. Some half time changes proved beneficial and Stuart Cossins, proving more useful in attack than defence heads over from a Reg Smart corner. Gradually the Reserves put attacks together but still are vulnerable when Hale miss from a cross in the six yard area. In the final 15 minutes Upton led by substitute Tom Fellows win another corner. The ball drops to Ellis Dunning in a crowded penalty area but he takes his time and hammers in an equalizer. Close to the end Tom Fellows drives into the penalty and is fouled.T he Hale keeper saves the resultant penalty with his feet. Despite the determination by the Reserves in the last quarter the match remains a draw.Team; Bedford, Wainwright, Cossins, E Dunning, C Dunning, M.Lewis. D Carman, S Finch, R Smart, P Walsh, Eymond-Jones.  Sub;T Fellows.

Sat 30 April 2011 - Capenhurst 5 Upton Res 5  - An unusual score line for the Reserves last match of the season began with a tentative opening 25 minutes from both sides. Eventually Simon Andrews is tripped in the penalty area and scores from the resultant penalty. Within 2 minutes the reserves score a second when a long ball from Steve Rowlands is helped on by Tom Fellows for Dave Carman to hit an outstanding volley into the top corner. Just before half time a clever through ball to Simon Andrews leaves him one on one with the keeper but fails to capitalise and score what may have been a deciding goal. Having been solid throughout the first half the Upton defence gift a goal from a long ball 5 minutes into the second half. Soon an own goal is conceded when Andy Lloyd ,facing his own goal attempts to lob over his own crossbar but instead finds his own net. The defence continue to be generous and another error gits Capenhurst a 3 - 2 lead 15 minutes into the second half. In an effort to reply Andy Lloyd heads narrowly wide from a corner, but Upton equalise with a flicked header into the corner from a Steve Rowlands cross. Not content at 3 all Capenhurst score again within minutes but almost as quickly Upton score with a fine volley. Having equalised twice the Reserves concede a fifth when Stuart Cossins filling in as a keeper, but on only one good leg, has the ball kicked out of his hands. The goals continue and with seconds remaining a typically determined Andy Lloyd scores to make for an extraordinary 5-5 draw. Team; Cossins, Wainwright, Lloyd, Walsh, Garrod, Carman, McKean, Andrews, Fellows, Hanley, Rowlands. Scorers; S.Andrews, T.Fellows, R.Hanley, Lloyd, D Carman