Back to Past Seasons

First Team - scroll down for reserves

Sat 13 August 2011 - Heswall 1 Upton 0.   In this the first league match Upton AA welcomed three new signings to the starting eleven, John Farrell, Todd Reid and Vidal Spaine. The match was competitive throughout the ninety minutes and Upton opened when Simon Andrews shot narrowly over from a corner after only three minutes. However, Heswall had more of the few chances falling to both sides in the remainder of the first half. Breaking quickly Heswall shot just wide on six minutes and ten minutes later a shot was half blocked by an Upton defender to go narrowly wide for a Heswall corner. Two more chances fell to Heswall, a header over the bar and a shot scuffed wide. Eventually Heswall take the lead with Adam Bedford in goal exposed. For the first fifteen minutes into the second half Upton take control, Simon Andrews has a shot well saved, but soon Vidal Spaine limps off to be substituted by Ryan Brown. Despite enjoying the better of the opening minutes, Upton conceded a penalty on sixty minutes with a clear trip in the penalty area. Fortunately the penalty hits the post and is hastily cleared by a relieved defence. In the final ten minutes a Mike Hughes shot is deflected only to rebound straight to a stranded Heswall keeper and five minutes from time a strong claim for an Upton penalty is denied. Two more substitutions late on with Ellis Dunning up front fail to secure an equaliser. Team; Bedford, Hughes, LLoyd, Rowlands, Finch, Farrell, Denham, Reid, Spaine, Freeman, Andrews.   Subs; Will Kelly, Brown. Jones, Dunning. 

Tues 16 August 2011 - Christleton 0  Upton 1.   Upton started brightly and within minutes of the start Nathan Freeman shoots narrowly over, a second opportunity soon follows from a Stuart Denham long throw into the box and a third attempt is hastily cleared by the Christleton defence for a corner. For the rest of the first half play is largely confined to a scrappy mid-field contest with neither side establishing any pattern of play. It is almost half time before another Upton chance is created when a Nathan Freeman shot is tipped over. The second half continues with much effort from both sides, but little possession retained for any length of time, as play is confined to too many wayward passes. An injury forces Steve Rowlands to be substituted by Neil Jones and Andy Lloyd is replaced by Ellis Dunning. Both players prove able replacements throughout the second half. Fifteen minutes into the second half a fierce Christleton shot hits the underside of the bar only to rebound of the line into a grateful Adam Bedford's arms. As the second half progresses Upton slowly gain the upper hand, retain possession and a number of half chances are to follow. Sean Finch shoots over from 25 yards. Todd Reid under close challenge lobs over after a goalmouth scramble. Nathan Freeman makes several runs and crosses down the left and Todd drives from mid-field into the box only to place wide of the far post with only the keeper to beat. Finally, only minutes from the end Todd is rewarded, having raced into the box again, this time to score with a left foot shot which a despairing Christleton defender fails to clear off the line. In injury time a Christleton claim for a penalty is denied during one of their infrequent incursions into the Upton area. Team; Bedford, Hughes, Rowlands, McGowan, Reid, Farrell, Denham, Thomson, Finch, Freeman. Subs; E.Dunning, N.Jones, Brown, Adams, Farr.

Sat 20 August 2011 - Vauxhall Motors 3 Upton 1. Upton had the better of the early stages but Vauxhalls got stronger as the game went on and after 18 minutes Adam Bedford had to pull off a magnificent save to stop the motormen taking the lead. Early in the second half Adam once again made a great save to keep the score sheet at 0-0 but a few minutes later a low volley by Danny Wainwright crept in at the near post to give Vauxhall the lead. After 25 minutes into the second half Todd Read missed a good chance to level the score. Neil Jones then replaced Ryan Brown who had just been booked and minutes later Ellis Dunning replaced Stewart Denham to bring some fresh legs into the midfield. A 25 yard screamer from John Farrell gave the motormen keeper no chance as it flew into the goal to level the game at 1-1.Upton then put on their third sub Jamie Adams who replaced Nathan Freeman. Within minutes Simon Andrews was clearly brought down in the box but to everybodyís surprise including the motormen bench nothing was given, a clear penalty if ever there was one!!! A bad defensive mistake by Upton let in the number 9 Mark Winslade to give Vauxhall the lead and then the number 10 Josh Walsh scored with a vicious long range drive to clinch the game for Vauxhalls. A result that Upton did not deserve.

Sat 27 August 2011 - Upton 0 Marine 1. Struggling with injuries and players being away Upton started shakily and the first fifteen minutes were rather scrappy. Neither team were able to take the advantage and the half fizzled out at 0-0. 5 minutes into the second half a perfectly flighted free kick into the Marine penalty area saw an Andy Lloyd header well saved by their keeper to prevent Upton taking the lead. Ryan Brown replaced Jamie Adams fifteen minutes into the half and the play remained pretty even throughout the rest of the game until 1 minute before the whistle Upton gave away a penalty. Adam Bedford made a tremendous save diving low to his right but an incoming no. 6 John Cross prodded the ball past a despairing keeper. For the second week in a row Upton have given the game to the opposition in the dying seconds. Upton team: Adam Bedford, Stewart Denham, Steve McGowan, Andy Lloyd, Steve Rowlands, Todd Read, Neil Jones, Jamie Adams, Nathan Freeman, Simon Andrews and Ryan Brown.

Wed 31 August 2011 - Ellesmere Port 2 Upton 0. Work and holiday commitments of only a couple of key players made for changes in the Upton starting line up, but a welcome league debut for Leon Farr .The match began at a high tempo imposed by Ellesmere Port but with no clear chances until on 10 minutes a fierce shot from all of 35 yards flew in over the Upton keeper's head into the net. Steve McGowan was ploughing a lonely furrow up front with little immediate support and was ruled offside on several occasions in an attempt to defeat a solid Ellesmere Port defence. A quick Ellesmere Port break with a telling through ball results in a shot, which the Upton keeper pushes wide only for an attacker to latch onto and score for a 2-0 lead. Before half time the clearest Upton chance falls to John Farrell, who cuts in from the right to let off a strong shot which is well parried by the keeper and scrambled away for a corner. The second half begins with clear signs of more aggression from the whole Upton team. Ellesmere Port are forced to retreat and for the rest of the second half their efforts are confined to long ball attempted attacks. However, Upton keeper Ryan Brown is forced to make two good important saves. As the second half continues so Upton continue to dominate territory but a number of free kicks and corners fail to yield any goals. Three substitutions continue to add to the pressure and Nathan Freeman has a shot well saved. Ellesmere Port are perhaps fortunate to shrug off two late penalty appeals but hold on to a 2-0 win. The goal drought for the First Eleven continues, despite no lack of effort. Team; Brown, Hughes, Rowland, Lloyd, E.Dunning, Reid, Farrell, Finch, McGowan, Farr, Freeman. Subs; Kelly, Denham, Baldea.

Sat 3 September 2011 - West Kirby 3 Upton 3. West Kirby had the better of the early exchanges before Simon Andrews went very close to opening the scoring against the run of play. West Kirby then missed an easy chance to go ahead from close range but somehow side footed it over the bar. Ryan Cartwright the new Upton Keeper then made a great save to keep the score at 0-0 after 20 minutes. West Kirby kept the pressure on as Upton weathered the storm. However West Kirby took the lead after 30 minutes, Ryan in goal did well to get a hand to the shot but could not keep it out. Upton then came back strongly and a great strike from Simon Andrews levelled the score. West Kirby would have taken the lead minutes before half time smashing a ball against the post which went out for a goal kick. The half time whistle went and at 1-1 Upton could count themselves slightly lucky. Unfortunately Upton's Captain, Andy Lloyd did not appear for the second half due to a neck injury and was replaced by Will Kelly.4 minutes into the half Simon Andrews lobbed the advancing keeper who somehow miraculously got his fingers to the ball to tip it over, a great save. Steve McGowan put Upton ahead, deservedly so, with a great run through the middle before slotting it past the despairing keeper on 52 minutes. In the 65th minute the West Kirby keeper prevented Upton increasing their lead with a repeat save again from a Simon Andrews lob. Minutes later Upton should have increased their lead with a great chance with the keeper having strayed out of his goal the ball flashed past the post, a let off for West Kirby. Nathan Freeman replaced Steve McGowan, who had a groin strain on 73 minutes. Then followed a goalmouth scramble which Upton failed to clear and West Kirby managed to force the ball over the line, 2 - 2. Soon after Simon Andrews was poleaxed as he went past the last man, the Ref never saw it and the linesman indicated that it was a shoulder charge???  Upton used their third sub Jamie Price replacing Steve Rowlands. There then followed a blatant offside goal and it appeared that Uptonís luck was out but no - in the last minute an Upton player was upended in the penalty area and the referee had no choice but to give the penalty. Simon Andrews stepped up to the mark and blasted the ball low and hard past a diving keeper. Final score 3 - 3. Uptonís best performance so far and whilst in the end they had to settle for a point they could have snatched this game on their second half performance. Team: Ryan Cartwright, Mike Hughes, Andy Lloyd, Ellis Dunning, Steve Rowlands, John Farrell, Steve McGowan, Stewart Denham, Todd Reid, Simon Andrews, Leon Farr, Jamie Price, Will Kelly and Nathan Freeman

Fri 9 September 2011 - Blacon Youth Club 2 Upton 2. The game began at a pace and manner dictated by Blacon. Frequent long clearances and goal kicks with a following wind kept the Upton defence busy at least in the air. In the first meaningful Upton attack on 5 minutes Simon Andrews is tripped in the Blacon penalty area, an offence only the referee failed to see. On 15 minutes Blacon open the score with a header from close range after a cross to the far post. Blacon continue to deny Upton time and space on the ball and are rewarded again on 22 minutes when yet another long ball over the top catches the defence out and an advancing keeper Ryan Cartwright is left stranded, for the forward to round the keeper and score. Slowly after the half hour Upton begin to keep possession and deny Blacon any territory or opportunity to score. Before half time in the best movement of the match so far, Sean Finch sees a fine shot graze the outside of the post. Todd Reid shoots over and Steve McGowan has a shot well blocked just before half time. The second half begins with Upton in control as they were for the last 20 minutes of the first half, but still no goal scored. On 2 minutes an Upton headed goal is denied for a challenge on the keeper , but only a fine save from Ryan Cartwright denies Blacon a third goal. Finally on 15 minutes into the second half Upton's improving play is rewarded when from a corner Andy Lloyd hooks a loose ball in from close range.15 minutes later Simon Andrews is fouled in the penalty area and scores the equaliser emphatically from the resultant spot kick. Having gained a draw as reward for a fine fight back, the Upton side seem to sit back in the final minutes instead of pressing on and Blacon are let off the hook. Team; Cartwright, Rowland, Hughes, Lloyd, E. Dunning, Finch, Reid, Denham, Andrews, McGowan, Farrell. Subs; Freeman, Boldea , Harrickie, Maghici, Bedford. Scorers; Lloyd , Andrews.

Sat 17 September 2011 - Marine 1 Upton 2 - Marine started off the stronger team within the first 5 minutes Adam Bedford made a 1st class save to somehow push the ball over the bar. That save woke Upton up as Steve McGowan had a simple chance to push the ball into a gaping net but pushed it wide.  Sean Finch had to be replaced due to an injury after 15 minutes due to a nasty tackle by their number 5, I still couldnít understand  the refereeís decision and Iím still unsure what game the officials where officiating !! As the first half went on Upton became stronger team and started to settle into the game as Simon Andrews turned the screw. Then Stuart Denham stepped up with an amazing first time ball on the half hour for Simon Andrews to latch on to, to lob the stranded keeper. 1-0 Upton at the break. Upton started the second half very much as they finished off and created the first chance of the half as Simon Andrews went close as he skipped passed two defenders but failed to convert.  Upton had very much control of the game and should have put the game to bed when Steve McGowan had another chance to finish the game off but he again failed to convert.70 minutes into the game Todd Reid had to be replaced through a dead leg and was replaced by Jon Harrickie who made an immediate impact by scoring on his first touch. What a finish and composure with 20 minutes to go! Upton must have thought the game was won as they seemed to switch off when Marine scored against the run of play to make it 1-2.Upton saw the result through to seal the win and secure a valuable 3 points. Scorers Simon Andrews/John Harrickie

Sat 24 September 2011 - Chester Nomads 2 Upton 2 The honours ended even in this local derby game. Upton went ahead twice but the new kids on the block battled back to earn a draw. Andy Lloyd opened the scoring for Upton with a header from his own half !!! before a defensive mistake allowed Kieran Smith to draw the Nomads level. Upton regained the lead when Ryan Brown took advantage of a goalkeeping error but back came the hosts to level the score once again through Ilya Haycock.

Sat 1 October 2011- Upton 1 Mossley Hill Athletic 3. Mossley started well, a small side who like to play football and they took the lead when Upton's keeper failed to hold on to a cross allowing them an easy chance from close range. They were a fit and lively team who made it difficult for Upton to settle into the game. The second half was more of the same with Upton's best chances coming from set pieces until Mike Hughes pushed on from right back to score Upton's consolation goal as Mossley added 2 more to their tally. Final Score Upton 1 Mossley Hill Athletic 3.

Sat 8 October 2011 - Upton 1 Ashville 5 - scorer Andy Lloyd - match report to follow

Sat 15 October 2011 - Newton 3 Upton 2 - scorers S Andrews and D Wallace - match report to follow

Sat 22 October 2011 - Ellesmere Port 1 Upton 2 - Ellesmere Port win 4 - 3 on penalties.  In this the second round of the Cheshire Amateur Cup at Ellesmere Port the game opened with an Upton goal within 4 minutes of the kick off. John Farrell scored with a clever shot. The remainder of the first half was perhaps dominated by a strong blustery wind blowing straight down the pitch and both sides struggled to get the ball down and establish any continuity of play. Goal opportunities were few and a header from Andy Lloyd, playing up front, was just palmed away by the Port keeper. The only real threat from the opponents came down their right and on 40 minutes a long ball down the right was held in play by the wind and a first time cross into the penalty area was well headed into the net by a Port player dashing in. Still playing with the wind at their backs Upton almost took the lead again when on 44 minutes a  Simon Andrews lob from 20 yards defeated the keeper only for the ball to strike the crossbar and rebound into play. The second half opened with an opportunity for Simon Andrews to dribble into the penalty area only for the officials to ignore a clear pull of his jersey. The continuing wind seemed to favour neither team and the remainder of the second half was fought determinedly by both sides without creating goal scoring chances. In extra time Upton used two subs. Ryan Brown and Neil Jones, but again chances were few. The Port had a header just wide from a free-kick on 104 minutes and Stuart Denham shot over unchallenged in the second half of extra time .And so to penalties- Upton's first three were taken well but the last two were hit at or near the keeper and saved easily. The Port did not miss one.       Team; Bedford, C.Dunning, M.Hughes, E.Dunning, S.Rowland, J.Farrell, S.Denham, T.Reid, J.Harrickie, S.Andrews, A.Lloyd. Subs; R.Brown, N.Jones, S.MacGowan.  Goalscorers; J.Farrell

Sat 29 October 2011 - Southport Trinity 1 Upton 3 - scorers S Andrews, S Denham, A Lloyd - match report to follow

Sat 5 November 2011 - Upton 1 Maghull 5 - Scorer S Denham - match report to follow

Sat 12 November 2011 - Upton 2 Marshalls 3 - Scorer Todd Reid 2 The first 20 minutes were confined to a mid field battle without either keeper being tested.However,on35 minutes an attack down the Upton left pierced the defence and a shot across Adam Bedford flew into the corner of the net. Upton almost equalised when a move down the left from Paul Sweeney, making his first start of the season, and a cross into the penalty area left Stuart Denham with a chance only for him to shoot past the far post. The final 5 minutes of the first half were to prove decisive as Marshalls scored two more goals. First a long throw into the Upton Six yard area was allowed to bounce and a grateful Marshall's player hooked the ball into the net. Soon after another defensive lapse gifted a third goal. The first half had been characterised by careless Upton passing and repeated failure to win second balls. The start of the second half saw a complete turn around of attitude by the whole Upton eleven. First Todd Reid scores after a break down the left by Neil Jones. Within 2 minutes of the restart Todd Reid scores a second with a header after a scramble in a crowded six yard box. Upton having scored 2 goals in the first 5 minutes of the second half confine Marshalls to only one attempt on goal in the first 30 minutes of the second half and that a shot straight at Adam Bedford. Upton continue to press for the equaliser, Stuart Denham hits a long free kick for the keeper to drop and the defence to scramble away and Andy Lloyd heads just over the bar from a corner. Marshalls are reduced to hasty long clearances to touch but hang on to a 3-2 lead until the final whistle. The match had been lost in those 5 minutes before half time and the Upton side yet to win at home this season. Team;Bedford, Harrickie, E.Dunning, Lloyd, Jones, Farrell, Denham, Wallace, Sweeney, Andrews, Reid.  Subs; Rowlands, Kelly, Hughes.

Sat 19 November 2011 - Maghull 1 Upton 1 - Scorer Paul Sweeney - The match began with a minutes silence in remembrance of Danny Sherlock, a long time servant of the Maghull club. Les Jacques, the Maghull chairman, has written to Upton AA remarking on our respectful attitude and the effort made to wear black armbands. The opening minutes were even and the first scoring chance fell to Ryan Brown whose shot was turned round the post. Soon after Darren Wallace shot over from an Upton corner. Mid way through the first half Upton came under some pressure and a Maghull free kick from outside the penalty area only just went over the bar. Simon Andrews needed treatment after a heavy challenge but was able to continue. Shots continued at both ends, and Stuart Denham shot over, whilst Paul Sweeney had a shot blocked for a corner from which Ryan Brown hit wide. At half time Upton had enjoyed the better chances, with Ryan Brown especially prominent on the left side of mid-field. Despite all this effort Maghull took the lead three minutes into the second half, described as a soft goal. Nevertheless Upton continued to provide chances for both Simon Andrews and again Ryan Brown. Finally Upton are rewarded on 79 minutes when a long throw from Stuart Denham is flicked on at the near post to Paul Sweeney who nets at the far post. Two minutes from time Ellis Dunning saves the point when clearing from under the bar with Adam Bedford beaten. Having lost 5-1 at home to Maghull only a fortnight earlier this performance against the League leaders should suggest better to come. Team; Bedford, Harrickie, Brown,Lloyd, E.Dunning, Wallace, Reid, Denham, Andrews, Sweeney, N.Jones.  Subs;Kelly, Hughes, C.Dunning.

Sat 26 November 2011 - Upton 0 Cammell Laird Res 0 - The match began with significant changes from the side which drew last Saturday at Maghull. Ryan Brown, having last week played his best match ever, leaves for Australia hopefully not for ever. Simon Andrews is nursing a back injury and Neil Jones is also not available. The first half produces chances at both ends but no goals. Early on Andy Lloyd heads over from a Chris Dunning cross, the Llaird's keeper makes a good save from a Darren Wallace header and Todd Reid shoots just wide after a period of Upton pressure. Llairdís also come close when heading over from a left wing cross and Ellis Dunning heads off the line with keeper Adam Bedford stranded. Before half time Paul Sweeney hits the side netting when through and Stuart Denham shoots wide from a Steve MacGowan knock down. The second half continues much the same as the first with occasional chances for both sides but no goal. Richard Keen, making an impressive season's debut for the first team, sets Stuart Denham up only for him to shoot wide and later passes to Steve MacGowan inside the box who  fires well over. Both keepers make fine saves during the second half, but it is Upton who enjoy slightly more of the chances for a deciding score. Darren Wallace chips the ball beats the keeper but hits the bar and Stuart Denham also lobs the keeper but clears the bar. John Farrell sets Todd Reid up with a clever ball only for him to miss. Likewise Paul Sweeney breaks and sets substitute Ryan Farrell up only to shoot wide. In the final minutes Llaird's have a strong claim for a penalty turned down and both their bench and some of their players lose control, making the referee's job difficult. Some consolation for Upton lies in the fact that this is the first time this season they have not conceded a goal. Team; Bedford, Harrickie, C.Dunning, E.Dunning, Lloyd, Denham, Reid, Wallace, MacGowan, Sweeney, Keen. Subs; J.Farrell, R.Farrell, Spaine.

Sat 2 December 2011 - Peacock 0 Upton 3. Scorers S Andrews 2 (one pen), Spaine. In this the second round of the Chester Senior Cup the Firsts were drawn away against the Peacock, currently undefeated in Division 1 of the Chester and District League. The opening 30 minutes were somewhat scrappy, but Upton were not without goalscoring chances. Both Ellis Dunning and Richard Keen headed over the bar from close range. Simon Andrews put through the heart of the Peacock defence but shoots hastily straight at the keeper. Meanwhile Adam Bedford remains untroubled in the Upton goal. Half chances continue to be squandered as Ellis Dunning volleys well over and Richard Keen shoots straight at the keeper from the edge of the penalty area. Eventually Upton are rewarded after 38 minutes Richard Keen picks up a pass on the half way line beats a man and crosses along the ground to Simon Andrews who just beats an advancing keeper with a well placed shot into the corner of the net. Just before half time Richard Keen spurns the best chance of the half after a Peacock defensive error by shooting over the bar. In the first 10 minutes of the second half the Peacock enjoy their best period of the match, encouraged no doubt by the single goal deficit. Ellis Dunning makes a good defensive header from a Peacock corner who head over from the rebound. The Peacock assault is short lived and 16 minutes into the second half Paul Sweeney dribbles 30 yards down the left and along the bye-line well into the penalty area before being clearly fouled. Simon Andrews scores from the spot. Despite the two goal deficit the Peacock continue to battle and at no time are Upton able to relax, although as the second half continues The Firsts gain more and more possession. Richard Keen hits the post and the ball is scrambled off the line and finally Vidal Spaine, substituting for Paul Sweeney, scores the third goal with a fierce shot from close range in the final seconds. Team; Bedford, Harrickie, E.Dunning, Lloyd, C.Dunning, Wallace, Denham, Reid, Keen, Sweeney, Andrews.  Subs; Spaine, MacGowan, Hughes.

Sat 11 December 2011 - Mossley Hill Athletic 4 Upton 1  - Scorer John Farrell.  With seven first team squad players unavailable Upton travelled to Mossley Hill with effectively only one substitute. Despite this after 25 minutes of keenly contested play Upton took the lead after a fine through ball the defence was seized on by John Farrell and drilled into the far corner of the net. The remainder of the first half continued on a wet pitch with few clear chances to either side until Adam Bedford was forced to save at the near post. At half time the Upton defence had appeared comfortable against a Mossley Hill side willing to break quickly into attack. Within seconds of the restart and straight from the kick off Mossley Hill equalised after a pass was diverted by a defender straight to an opposing forward who scored. Clearly Mossley Hill were lifted, but it was within the next ten minutes that the match was decided. Three Upton chances were missed in quick succession. First a John Farrell break and shot is well saved, then Richard Keen has a fierce shot blocked and finally Simon Andrews shoots just over the bar. From a corner immediately after a Mossley Hill shot from the edge of the penalty is deflected by a defender into the very corner of the net with Adam Bedford left stranded. Within seconds a Mossley Hill through ball beats a defence convinced of an offside for the opponents to take a 3-1 lead. Despite consulting a linesman the goal is awarded. On 30 minutes a needless free kick is given on the edge of the Upton penalty area. The free kick is blocked by a three man wall only to fall to an opponent who fires into the net. In the last quarter Upton continue to battle despite a 4-1 score, but Chris Dunning is sent off for a foul in the penalty area only for Adam Bedford to make a brilliant one handed save.   Team; Bedford, Harrickie, C.Dunning, Macgowan, Lloyd, Reid, J.Farrell, Hughes, Andrews, Sweeney, Keen.  Sub;V.Spaine.

Sat 7 January 2012 Upton 4 v Vauxhall Motors Res 0 - On a cold and windy day and not having played a game since mid December Upton started rather slowly against an enthusiastic young side. Both teams missed chances early on and it wasn't until the 28th minute that Upton took the lead with a great free kick from 25 yards taken by Todd Read and hit hard and low to the keeperís right. 1 - 0 to Upton. 8 minutes later Richard Kean sent over a fantastic cross from the left which was brilliantly flicked on by Simon Andrews giving the keeper no chance whatsoever 2 -0. A Simon Andrews penalty on the stroke of half time made it    3 - 0, unfortunately the Motormen had a man sent off for handball on the line which gave Upton the penalty - harsh but no argument. Upton took their foot off the pedal a bit in the second half and the spirited Vauxhall side never gave up trying. The manager rang the changes and used all 3 subs in this half and following a corner a late header by captain Andy Lloyd was fumbled by their keeper and dribbled over the line 4 - 0.

Sat 14 January 2012 Ashville 6 Upton 0. Two goals down following defensive errors in the first 10 minutes was the worst start possible against Ashville ,the league leaders. The Upton side managed to prevent a better side from scoring again well into the second half. However, Ashville's much superior fitness was to become obvious in the final 25 minutes and the flood gates opened. Team; Bedford, Harrickie, E.Dunning, McGowan, Lloyd, Reid, Kean, Finch, Andrews, Wallace, Sweeney. Subs; Hughes, Brown, Fellows.  

Sat 21 January 2012 Upton 1 Southport Trinity 1. A strong following wind in the first half did little in the opening 20 minutes to help Upton gain any advantage. The side fell into the trap of a series of hasty long clearances often over hit giving a solitary Simon Andrews little scope. A single shot from Sean Finch, well saved low to the keeper's right, was the only threat to the Southport defence in the opening quarter of the match. However, soon after Upton began to gain more frequent territorial advantage and a couple of chances were to follow. A Darren Wallace shot was deflected by a defender, but again the keeper saved low to his right. Another lofted clearance this time found Simon Andrews whose shot was parried only for the Southport defence to scramble the ball away. John Harrickie was next to nearly score when after a long run from mid field right into the penalty area a left foot shot was well saved. On 40 minutes a poor clearance from the Southport keeper fell to John Farrell but he failed to capitalise. The first half saw few concerted opposition attacks and at half time it seemed that Upton should have gone in with at least a one goal lead. However, it was only 10 minutes into the second half when a Southport forward beat two defenders only to spurn the best chance of the match so far. In reply Simon Andrews five minutes later also beat two defenders only to shoot narrowly wide. Eventually Upton took the lead, when substitute Ryan Brown clearly outpaced two floundering defenders and scored despite being pulled back. Winter training in Perth had paid off. For twenty minutes Upton held on to the single goal advantage, but five minutes from full time Andy Lloyd conceded a penalty attempting a tackle. Adam Bedford made a brilliant save in the right hand corner only for the penalty taker to tap in from the rebound. Not a single Upton player thought to follow the ball in and two points were lost. Team; Bedford, Harrickie, Lloyd, McGowan, Rowland, Farrell, Finch, Reid, Wallace, Hughes, Andrews. Subs; Brown, Maloney, E.Dunning.

Sat 28 January 2012 Upton 2 Heswall 0. The absence of several of the first team squad was to make for a bench of players recovering from injury. Fortunately Will Kelly, home from the steppes of County Durham, was able to start not having played for weeks. He, like the rest of the side, were to play their best football for many weeks. Mike Hughes at left back showed again he is able to play well anywhere on the pitch. Sean Finch returned to his best after months of injury and the performance of all eleven was equally assured. Simon Andrews was to score both goals Ė one from the spot. Team; Bedford, Harrickie, Hughes, Lloyd, E.Dunning, Reid, J.Farrell, Finch, Andrews, Kelly, Brown. Subs; Fellows, Kean.

Sat 18 February 2012  Upton 0 West Kirby 1. In a blustery wind West Kirkby for the first fifteen minutes had most of the possession and territory without troubling Adam Bedford in the Upton goal. It was twenty minutes into the half before Upton forced a corner at which their keeper flapped and their defence scrambled away. The half continued to be competitive but with few goal scoring opportunities for either team. Once on twenty minutes after a defensive slip Adam Bedford saved well with his feet and later  a shot from a West Kirby corner was blocked almost on the line. The only clear Upton chance fell to Paul Sweeney whose shot on the turn was blocked by a defender following a quick Upton break and cross from John Farrell. In the opening minutes of the second half after Upton's first prolonged series of first time passes Paul Sweeney shot at the keeper from the edge of the box. Soon after Todd Reid was forced to retire with an instep wound for Tom Fellows to substitute. A second substitution was soon to follow with Steve McGowan replacing Paul Sweeney. The match continued in much the same vein as the first half but with Upton gradually surrendering more and more territory to West Kirkby. However, it was 30 minutes before Adam Bedford was called on to make a good save from a free kick just outside the penalty area. In the last 15 minutes Upton used their last substitute, Vidal Spaine replacing John Farrell. The match now began very much to look like a goalless draw, but careless Upton clearances repeatedly surrendered possession. Finally, in extra time, a West Kirby free kick was hit to the far post ,allowed to bounce and headed in from close range.  Team; Bedford, Harrickie, Lloyd, E.Dunning, Rowland, Finch, Reid, Brown, Farrell, Wallace, Sweeney.    Subs; Fellows, McGowan, Spaine.

Sat 25 February 2012  Marshalls 1 Upton 2.Scorers Todd Reid Dinu Maghici

Sat 3 March 2012 Chester Senior Cup Quarter Final Upton 3 Highfield 1, Scorers Simon Andrews (2), Todd Reid. In this, a quarter final of the Chester Senior Cup, the opening 20 minutes were ragged with one exception when Simon Andrews clipped a shot over the bar from close range. However, he was soon to make amends. A Highfield corner was cleared quickly from defence and picking the ball up from just inside their half held off a defender rounded the keeper for a tap in. Much of the next 15 minutes continued with careless passing from both sides and repeated lost possession until Upton scored their second goal. Todd Reid drove a low corner to the edge of the box, Ellis Dunning stepped over the ball and Simon Andrews drove it into the roof of the net from 15 yards out. Highfield's chances were confined to a careless and short Upton back pass to Adam Bedford. The opposition relied on long balls throughout the first half which were comfortably dealt with by Ellis Dunning and Andy Lloyd in defence. The second half opens with an Upton corner nodded down by Andy Lloyd to Simon Andrews who heads over a bouncing ball from a couple yards out. But for the next 20 minutes Highfield enjoy their best spell despite the 2-0 deficit as Upton fail to keep possession. Finally they are rewarded with a penalty for hand ball which is hammered into the net. But almost immediately Dinu Maghici, who throughout the match passed intelligently to feet, gets forward and shoots powerfully but just wide. Three minutes later Simon Andrews hooks a ball over the central defence's heads and Todd Reid breaking quickly from mid field beats an advancing keeper to the ball and scores the Upton third goal. The Highfield effort is spent and the final minutes end comfortably for the Upton side. Team; Bedford, Hughes, Lloyd, E.Dunning, Maghici, J.Farrell, Reid, Finch, Brown, Fellows, Andrews. Subs; Wallace, Sweeney, Spaine, Boldea.

Sat 10 March 2012 Willaston 1 Upton 4. Scorers Simon Andrews (2), Paul Sweeney, John Farrell.  A windy day with chances at each end early on in the game. Simon Andrews broke the deadlock after 40 mins with a shot on the turn from the edge of the box to put Upton ahead at half time. 10 mins into the second half Simon Andrews popped up again to lob the advancing keeper, 2 - 0 to Upton. Minutes late the Willaston keeper fumbled an easy ball and Paul Sweeney was on hand to stab home from close range.  Upton went further ahead after a good build up between Sweeney and Todd with John Farrell blasting home from the edge of the box. With 8 minutes to play Willaston pulled one back from a direct free kick on the edge of the box. This was a 6 pointer and the game was a bit scrappy with a referee who struggled to keep control and ending in the last minute with the Willaston number 10 being shown a red card.

Sat 17 March 2012  Upton 2 v Marshalls 1. Scorers Todd Reid, Simon Andrews. The first half an hour was quite uneventful with very few chances at either end although Upton enjoyed most of the possession. Then Todd Reid opened the scoring for Upton with a vicious drive from outside the box, low and hard to the keeperís right. Upton then missed two great chances to increase their lead and should really have been 2 or 3 up going in at half time. Right full back Dinu Maghici continues to impress and has improved in every game to cement his place as a first team regular The first 15 minutes of the second half were very tight with no further addition to the score line until following a great through ball from Andy Lloyd to John Farrell whose cross was inch perfect for Simon Andrews to stab home from close range. Paul Sweeney was then desperately unlucky not to increase the score line missing two opportunities to further increase the lead. Then totally against the run of play Marshalls pulled one back with a header from Josh Birch following a corner. Suddenly this six pointer took a turn and Upton who had really controlled the game started to look nervous but managed to hold on for the last few minutes.

Wed 28 March 2012 Upton 1 v Blacon Youth Club 2. Scorer Ryan Brown. Andy Lloyd hit the crossbar with a great header following an early corner. Should have been 1 - 0. Then following a defensive error Simon Andrews rattled a shot against the upright, still 0 - 0. After 15 minutes a fierce Ryan brown shot from outside the box was too hot to handle by the Blacon keeper and he fumbled it before it dropped over the line, 1 - 0 to Upton. Just before half time and with Upton having the most of the possession they should really have put the game out of sight and been at least 3 - 0 up. Then a late deflected shot from outside the box by Jamie Rogers left Adam Bedford Upton's keeper with no chance, 1 - 1 Blacon were back in the game.This late goal gave Blacon a tremendous lift and they started and stayed stronger in the second half although the game became a bit tit for tat until Ben Heath hit an absolute screamer low and hard from 25 yards that hit the back of the net before the Upton keeper could even move. A great goal to decide the match in Blacon's favour 2-1.

Sat 31 March 2012 Upton 3 v Newton 0. Scorers Ryan Brown, Simon Andrews 2. Newton started well and Upton had a narrow escape when a header at the far post was only just wide. It was almost 20 minutes before Upton created a real chance ,when a long accurate pass from Steve McGowan found Ryan Brown who stepped inside and hit a dipping shot from the edge of the penalty narrowly over the bar. Seconds later Tom Fellows also shoots over from close range but from an acute angle. Until almost half time the match remains even and Adam Bedford has only one notable save to make. Immediately after this save the versatile Mike Hughes, this time at right mid-field, hits a defence splitting through ball to Ryan Brown who taps in whilst stumbling. Two minutes later and just on half time, Tom Fellows breaks and makes a deliberate square pass just inside the Newton penalty area to Simon Andrews who checks and then calmly chips the keeper for a 2-0 lead. The win is almost secured 18 minutes into the second half when Dinu Maghici, outstanding at right back for the fifth consecutive match, floats a perfectly weighted ball over the defence for Simon Andrews to volley into the far corner. Newton, however, are unwilling to surrender but fail to create goal scoring opportunities. The back four, with a welcome return for Dave Burtenshaw, prove resolute and subs John Harrickie and Darren Wallace freshened up the mid field. Upton miss one more obvious chance 5 minutes from full time, when Tom Fellows, with only the keeper to beat and perhaps too much time, shoots wide. Team; Bedford, Maghici, Burtenshaw, Lloyd, E.Dunning, S.McGowan, Hughes, Reid, Andrews, Fellows, Brown. Subs;Wallace ,Harrickie..

Fri 6 April 2012 City of Chester Cup Upton 0 Blacon 3. This semi-final of the Chester Senior Cup opened with goal scoring chances for both sides in the opening minutes. With the match barely a minute old an Upton cross found Simon Andrews unmarked inside the penalty area but he lobbed a bouncing ball over the advancing keeper and the crossbar. Two minutes later a Blacon shot was only narrowly wide of the upright. As anticipated the first half continued at a frantic pace with quick closing down of those in possession and fierce tackling. Neither side were able to keep the ball and passes were hurried and often long. It was 25 minutes before Upton created a second chance when Darren Wallace just headed over from a Todd Reid free kick. Five minutes before half time Blacon took the lead when  a driven corner on the right was headed unchallenged but fiercely past Adam Bedford. Almost immediately Blacon scored a decisive second goal when a fortunate rebound off an Upton defender fell to a Blacon forward who lobbed a stranded keeper. Blacon had in the final quarter of the first half been quicker to second balls and determined in general play. Again in the opening seconds of the second half Upton failed with an opportunity when shooting straight at the keeper from close range. Throughout the second half Upton were to enjoy more territory and possession than in the first, but failed to create obvious scoring chances. With time running out Upton threw players forward and with only 5 minutes left Blacon took advantage of a weakened defence when a loose ball inside the penalty area was lashed in from close range. Team; Bedford, Maghici, Burtenshaw, Lloyd, E.Dunning, Hughes, Reid, McGowan, Wallace, Brown, Andrews. Subs; Harrickie, Spaine, Freeman, Kean, Fellows.

Sat 7 April 2012 Upton 0 Willaston 0. Compelled to play this league match the day after a Chester Senior Cup semi-final, the Upton squad were weakened by injuries and late withdrawals. Nine of the previous dayís side were compelled to start again. Throughout the first half Upton enjoyed more of the possession, but lacked penetration up front. The defence, however, were comfortable and clear chances were largely absent at both ends. The second half began with Willaston gaining most of the territory but without creating chances and a dull second half continued. It was not until the final ten minutes that Upton created any chances. First the advancing Willaston keeper defied Simon Andrews and tipped the ball over the bar. In the last 5 minutes he made a second fine save from Richard Keen. A match without goals reflected a tired game. Team; Bedford, Maghici, Lloyd, E.Dunning, Hughes, Farrell, Reid, McGowan, Harrickie, Andrews, Fellows.   Subs; Keen, E-Jones.

Wed 11 April 2012. Upton 1 Nomads 1 - scorer Simon Andrews   A lively start by both teams creates but few goal scoring chances for either side. On 5 minutes Andy Lloyd hits well over from inside the box. Later the Upton defence fails to react to a short throw in and from the resultant cross a Nomad's header is only just wide. Nomads then enjoy a sequence of corners without much danger to the Upton goal. Paul Sweeney makes a number of incisive runs down the left but again without a result. The whole of the first half remains keenly fought as would be expected in a local derby. It is 15 minutes into the second half before Upton take a lead. A long goal kick with the wind is headed on by Paul Sweeney to Simon Andrews who volleys first time into the net. A second Upton fierce shot from Paul Sweeney from 25 yards brings out a superb save from the Nomad's keeper. Now Upton are in the ascendancy for the first time and a free kick is headed goalward by Simon Andrews only to be deflected wide for a corner. Substituting for Tom Fellows, Jon Eymond-Jones almost scores with almost his first break.30 minutes into the second half Nomads score after a rare attack. A shot destined to go wide is deflected by an Upton defender into his own net. Encouraged Nomads enjoy a little more of territory but the match ends in a draw. Team; Bedford, Maghici, Dunning, Lloyd, Hughes, Harrickie, Wallace, Reid, Sweeney, Andrews, Fellows. Subs; E-Jones, J.Farrell, Brown, Keen.,

Sat 14 April 2012. Upton 0 Christleton 0. The first half clearly reflected the fact that for the Upton side it was the fourth game in eight days with a number of the side playing with aches and pains. Neither side created any real goal scoring chances and the first 45 minutes was much of a stalemate. The second half, however, was to produce many more opportunities especially for the Upton forwards. Within minutes of the restart Simon Andrews beats two defenders inside the box only for his shot to hit a Christleton defender and bounce clear. Again Andrews later in the half dribbles past defenders, but his attempted lob from close range is saved by an advancing keeper. Most of the goalmouth action is confined to the final five minutes. First Andy Lloyd makes two important blocks to Christleton shots on target. In the final seconds Tom Fellows drives across the keeper but wide and Vidal Spaine mis-hits a chance straight at the keeper. The whole match had little of the bite typical of a local derby.  Team; Bedford, Harrickie, Lloyd, E.Dunning, Hughes, Keen, Reid, Wallace, Sweeney, Andrews, Fellows. Subs; Spaine ,Crank.

Sat 23 April 2012. Cammel Laird Res v Upton ... This match was abandoned after 30 minutes following a serious injury to Matty Houghton the Laird's No.10 and until then their outstanding player. Upton had taken a 2-0 lead within 10 minutes of the kick-off with outstanding goals from Matty Crank and Vidal Spaine. Lairds scored just before the injury and eventual abandonment. Neither Officials or players from both sides had any wish to continue.

Mon 23 April 2012. Upton 4 Ellesmere Port 2. Scorers John Eymond - Jones, Tom Fellows, Todd Reid, Vidal Spaine. The match opened with a goal for Ellesmere Port 2 minutes from the kick off. A shot from the edge of the Upton penalty area was deflected inadvertently by a defender into the corner of the net for an own goal. An equaliser for Upton was soon to follow after an excellent run and cross from the bye line was this time deflected in his own net by a Port defender attempting to cut out the cross. On 25 minutes Upton took a deserved lead after the Port keeper saved a one on one chance from Jon Eymond-Jones only for Tom Fellows to tap in the loose ball. The opposition's only clear chance in the half came before half time, but eventually the ball was scrambled clear. Andy Lloyd as ever dominant in a reshuffled back four was replaced by Stuart Cossins at the interval. Needing the points to avoid relegation the Port strengthened their side with substitutions and began the second half with more determination. They were soon rewarded with an equaliser from an 18 yard drive into the corner of the Upton net. The pressure was only to last for 15 minutes as Nathan Freeman narrowly misses from an acute angle and Jon Eymond-Jones hits an upright. Upton then take a 3-2 lead with a free kick from Todd Reid being deflected by the wall into its own net. Vidal Spaine, substituting for Tom Fellows, receives a ball to feet from Ryan Brown spins around defender and sprints on to score a special fourth goal. At 4-2 the result is now assured and with at least six regular squad members missing is a creditable victory. All regular team members took extra responsibility and the occasionals did well also considering the amount of football played so far in April. Team; Bedford, Crank, Lloyd. Hughes. Harrickie, Freeman, Wallace, Reid, Sweeney, Fellows, E-Jones. Subs; Walsh, Spaine, Brown.

Mon 30 April Cammel Laird Res 9 Upton 1  - scorer and match report to follow


Monday 15 August 2011 - Christleton Res 1 Upton Res 1 -  In their first league match of the new season the Reserves welcomed two new starters in Darren Wallace and Neil Jones. The first half throughout was both competitive and even, neither side gaining the upper hand .Upton's first chance came in ten minutes, when Mark Thomson shot just wide, but Christleton were to open the scoring when a shot from a free kick outside the penalty box was only parried by keeper Jamie Price to an advancing forward who scored from close range. Upton's clearest opportunity to equalise came on forty minutes when a clever shot from Carl van Hien hit the base of the post only to rebound to Eymond-Jones who shot over from close range. As the second half progressed the Reserves gradually gained more control and were rewarded on sixty minutes when Eymond- Jones made no mistake this time from an excellent and early Thomson cross from the right. Three second half substitutions Ellis Dunning, Richard Kean and Warren Kelly freshened the side up and chances to take the lead began to appear whilst the defence stayed in control. Richard Keen to Warren Kelly whose shot was well saved. Another attack down the Upton right and cross just beyond advancing forwards resulted in a corner which Christleton scrambled clear .Dave Carman from close range hits the helpless keeper in the face and the ball goes for a corner. Martin Williams hits a half chance over the bar , but soon is a passenger carrying a strain. In the final minutes Upton concede two needless free kicks just outside their penalty area as Christleton finally gain some territory, but the defence continues to hold out. Team; Price, C.Dunning, Cossins, Wallace, Jones, Williams, Carman, Walsh, Van Hien, E-Jones, Thomson.  Subs; Ellis Dunning, Keen, Warren Kelly.

Saturday 20 August 2011. Upton Res 0 Helsby 6 Against a Helsby side, having resigned from the first division, the Reserves started in the worst possible manner. Within two minutes of the kick off a long ball down the Upton left was picked up by a Helsby forward, probably offside, an immediate cross and a simple tap in with the defence caught out. Minutes later a series of reckless defensive short passes in the Reserves penalty area ended with a mis-kick and a goal gifted to Helsby. A strong Helsby mid-field began to dominate and the Reserve's attempts on goal were confined to a Mark Thomson header and a couple of shots from Richard Keen. Before half-time Helsby take a 3-0 lead when a free kick from just outside a crowded Upton penalty area is scrambled in. The second half begins with the best Upton move of the match ending with the keeper saving well. Nevertheless Helsby continue to take control and Upton forwards fail to retain possession leaving the defence hard pressed and more goals follow. A penalty is awarded for a trip by Jamie Price who has been left exposed and finally another disputed penalty is awarded for hand ball. Much of the second half is marked by a minority of new Reserve signings surrendering, leaving the rest of the side to battle on. Team; Price, Shone, Wallace, Cossins, C.Dunning, Van Hien, Carman, Walsh, Keen, Thomson, Eymond-Jones. Subs; Warren Kelly, Ashbrook, Depuis, Nelson.

 Monday 22 August 2011. Capenhurst 2 Upton Res 3.  With  only two changes, Ellis Dunning and Neil Jones, from the side heavily defeated by Helsby on the previous Saturday, the Reserves opened the match in a very different spirit. Within two minutes of the start a low cross from a free kick beats the Capenhurst defence and Ellis Dunning calmly places the ball in the net. A series of Jareth Ashbrook raids down the left prove dangerous. A Richard Keen corner leads to a Mark Thomson header being kicked off the line and soon Eymond-Jones mis- kicks an opportunity. After these numerous attacks, the Reserves are rewarded again when an excellent through ball from Chris Dunning finds Eymond-Jones who is challenged by an advancing keeper for the ball to fall to Mark Thomson who lobs in for a second Upton goal. Throughout the first half the Reserve defence is untroubled, whilst Capenhurst is kept under frequent attack. The opening 20 minutes of the second half are without incident although Capenhurst are less on the defensive. However, soon after Capenhurst score from a cross and simple tap in from close range. From the restart sub Simon Andrews heads against the post for Eymond - Jones to back heel the rebound into the net. Although 3-1 down Capenhurst are not finished and reduce the score to 3-2 with a shot from 35 yards over keeper Price's head and in. For the remainder of the game The Reserves are less in control and goal scoring chances limited to a rash blast over the bar when unchallenged and an Ellis Dunning header wide from a corner. A deserved victory in which the back four were outstanding and up front more care would have produced more goals.     Team; Price, C.Dunning, N.Jones, S.Cossins, E.Dunning, C.van Hien, J.Ashbrook, D.Carman, J.Eymond- Jones, M.Thomson, R.Keen. Subs; S.Andrews, Todd Reid, A.Eymond-Jones.

Sat 27 August 2011. Hale 1 Upton Res 2. Bank Holiday fixture reduced the Reserves to a bare eleven players with Manager Matty Jones in goal, who incidentally gave a faultless display. The first half was characterised by a whole string of attacks and missed chances. The Reserves opened on 2 minutes with a cross from Matty Crank, making a welcome debut, and shot over the bar from inside the six yard box. In the only Hale attack of the early minutes a penalty was awarded for a trip, only for the taker to hit the post and be cleared by a grateful Reserve defence. But on ten minutes the Reserves at last find the net when a long Chris Dunning free kick is headed on for Mikel Godras to score with an excellent first time shot. In the meantime Matty Jones makes a fine high one handed save. There then follows a succession of chances not taken. Pat Walsh just fails to get a shot off on the edge of the box and I Boldea in his first match has a shot diverted for a corner. A poor back pass by the Hale defence leads to hasty miss with their keeper stranded. Matty Crank lobs over, Dave Carman shoots over, Eymond-Jones heads over, Mikel Godras shoots at the keeper. At half time the score remains at 1-0 when it might have been 5-0.The second half continues much the same but with fewer opportunities until Hale hit the foot of the Upton post with a free kick from the edge of the box with the  wall out of position. Eventually the Reserves score a second goal from Eymond-Jones after clever play by Mikel Godras. Five minutes from time Hale score in a rare attack after a long through ball along the floor and down the middle beats the central defence. In the final minutes Hale clear off their own goal line and the Reserves hit the cross bar but no goals are forthcoming. The final score of only 2-1 to the Reserves remains a mystery. Team; M.Jones, S.Cossins, M.Thomson, L.Wainwright, C.Dunning, M.Crank, P.Walsh, D.Carman, I.Boldea, Eymond-Jones, M.Godras

Tues 30 August 2011 Manor Athletic Res 1 Upton Res 3. The Reserves started cold and in disarray and within 5 minutes of the kick off were 1-0 down following a defensive error leaving the Manor forward with a simple tap in. Soon after, as if to emphasise the slow start, a short back pass to Matty Jones, again forced to deputise  in goal, left him stranded but fortunately Manor shot just wide of the upright. Slowly the whole Reserve side began to settle and on 30 minutes from a long goal, kick Mark Thomson flicked on a header for Eymond-Jones to seize on and with a deliberate pass beat the defence for Pat Walsh to pick up and score emphatically. On the first half run of play the Reserves were perhaps fortunate to be level. The second half saw a much improved performance throughout and within 5 minutes of the restart a Mark Thomson ball to the feet of Richard Keen saw him run 20 yards through the defence to score in the far corner. This was soon followed by a series of passes to feet which left Pat Walsh in only to blast hastily wide into the side netting. The Reserve's second half superiority was rudely interrupted when Eymond-Jones was sent off needlessly for dissent. On 75 minutes, following a corner and a goalmouth scramble the 10 Reserves were fortunate to clear off their goal line. It was with ten men and some loss of territory that the whole of the Reserve's defence showed it's determination, with Ellis Dunning outstanding. With Mikel Godras and Jareth Ashbrook on as substitutes the Reserve's took a secure 3-1 lead with another fine goal. Pat Walsh finds Mikel Godras wide on the right who drives on to the by-line and crosses to Jareth Ashcroft, who having made a 30 yard dash into the box scores convincingly. A poor start but a determined win. Team; M.Jones, C.Dunning, S.Cossins, L.Wainwright, E.Dunning, P.Walsh, C.Van Hein, D.Carman, J.Eymond-Jones, M.Thomson, R.Keen. Subs; M.Godras, J.Ashbrook, I.Boldea. Scorers ; Walsh, Keen, Ashbrook.

Sat 3 September 2011. Upton Res 2  Neston Nomads 0  - New to the League Neston Nomads visited Upton Res ,who were looking to add to their three game winning run. The game started slowly with stray passing from both sides. After 15 minutes Upton began to exert some pressure when Richard Keen went close with a header. They were rewarded on 26 minutes with a well worked goal, Eymond-Jones supplying a neat pass for Richard Keen to slot home from 10 yards. For the rest of the first half Upton pressure did not bring another goal and the Reserve's back four coped easily with any Neston attacks. The second half started with Upton again on the front foot, Danu Maghici forcing the Neston keeper into a good save following a great Eymond - Jones knock down. Stuart Cossins hit a 25 yard screamer which the Neston keeper did well to tip over. Pat Walsh had a good chance and again the keeper saved well. On 30 minutes into the second half Neston had a succession of corners which came to nothing and Upton again pressed forward with Richard Keen forcing a great reflex save. Then on 35 minutes, substitute Iohun Boldea went on a great run beating two players before pulling the ball back for Eymond - Jones to score in the top corner. Just before the final whistle, Pat Walsh again forced the Neston keeper into another good save. The game ended 2-0 to the Reserves who deserved to win, but should have won by a greater margin. Team; Burtenshaw, Crank, Thomson, Cossins, C.Dunning, Keen, Walsh, Van Hein, Ashbrook, Eymond- Jones, Maghici  Subs; Boldea , M.Jones.    Scorers; Keen, Eymond -Jones.

Sat 10 September 2011. Upton Res 1 Kelsall 2 (aet). - Chester FA Challenge Cup . In this the 1st round of the Chester And District Challenge Cup the Reserves faced Kelsall and began in the worst manner possible by conceding a bizarre goal on 5 minutes ,with confusion between Adam Bedford in goal and the defence some 30 yards from the Upton line. The Kelsall forward gratefully walked the ball into the net. For the remainder of the next 30 minutes the Reserves managed to
squander possession with careless passing. The Kelsall defence was notable for a very tall centre half whose game was made easier by a series of optimistic Reserve long high balls. Eventually on 30 minutes, in the first series of short passes on the floor, Mark Thomson equalised with a fine shot. The remainder of the first half continued with few chances for either side and the Reserves continuing to insist on not playing to their strengths, and hitting hopeful long balls. The second half began with Mark Thomson missing a clear opportunity with only the keeper to beat. On 15 minutes Ionut Boldea narrowly misses within seconds of substituting for the injured Richard Keen. Later on Eymond-Jones also fails to score following a one on one with the Kelsall keeper, a missed chance like the others which were to prove decisive. The remainder of the second half continued with few goal opportunities falling to Kelsall and so to 10 minutes each way of extra time. Early in the first half of extra time Kelsall take the lead with a fine headed goal from a long cross to the far post. In the second half Dinu Maghici has a shot blocked ,Carl van Hien has a shot tipped over from a short penalty, but the Reserves played without sufficient heart to equalise again and suffered a  second consecutive defeat in the 1st round of the Chester and District Challenge Cup! Team; Bedford, Brown,  Cossins, Kelly, C.Dunning, Keen, Carman, van Hien, Ashbrook, Thomson, Eymond-Jones.    Subs; Maghici, Boldea, Crank.

Sat 17 September 2011. Upton Res 4 Belfry 5. The match began quietly in view of what was to come later, until on 25 minutes Ionut Boldea lobs narrowly over the bar. Within seconds Stuart Cossins clears off the line and at the opposition end a cross from Aidan Eymond is just missed by Nathan Freeman. Soon afterwards another long cross from Aidan Eymond is this time smacked into the roof of the net by Nathan Freeman. Within a few minutes Ionut Boldea fires just over after some excellent close dribbling past two defenders. Belfry ,however, are not without chances and soon almost equalise.10 minutes from half time a brave header from Dave Carman puts Nathan Freeman through for a well taken second goal. In securing the header Dave Carman suffers a head injury and takes no further part in the game. Just minutes before half time Ionut Boldea scores the third goal with a clever lob to secure a would be comfortable lead. The second half begins with a doubtful penalty conceded by Stuart Cossins and Belfry see a chance of recovery. Soon after they score a second with a through ball leaving the Reserve's defence spectators. On 30 minutes Belfry equalise with a third goal as three of their players pour through the defence. Worse is to come as the Reserves fail to resist a Belfry onslaught which yields two more goals to make five goals in 38 minutes. Five minutes from the final whistle the Belfry keeper drops a high cross and Dinu Maghici half volleys into the net from close range. The final score of 5 -4 to the opposition leaves most wondering why the remarkable turn around in fortune. Team;  Cartwright, C.Dunning, Jones, Cossins, Wallace, Walsh, Van Hien, Carman, Eymond, Freeman, Boldea. Subs; Maghici, Crank, Williams. Scorers Freeman 2,Boldea,Maghici.

Sat 24 September 2011.Upton Res 2 AFC Bebington Ath Res Upton started well and Dave Carmen scored to give them a 1-0 half time lead. Nathan Freeman scored to increase the lead before Aiden Jones was harshly sent off reducing Upton to 10 men. AFC Bebington then took the advantage to score twice to level the score with only 5 minutes of the game left to play. Another game Upton should really have won. Scorers David Carman and Nathan Freeman

Sat 1 October 2011. Ellesmere Port Res 1 v Upton Res 1. In a rearranged early kick off Upton had the better of the first fifteen minutes and missed a golden opportunity to take the lead. Emergency keeper Mark Thompson the made two outstanding saves to prevent Ellesmere Port taking the lead. Ten minutes before the interval Ellesmere took the lead when a player was allowed to get in with a close range effort. I-0 half time to The Port. Upton had the better chances in the second half although it was pretty even until Stuart Cossins equalised with a left foot drive from about 12 yards out. Final score 1-1

Sat 8 October 2011. Chester Nomads Res 4 Upton 1 - scorer OG - match report to follow

Sat 15 October 2011. Upton Res 1 Mersey Royal 4 -  The match opened with the Reserves scoring 5 minutes from the kick off. A clever back heel from Jon Eymond -Jones this time succeeds and Matty Crank scores calmly past the keeper. This proves later to be the one and only Upton goal. Within 3 minutes of taking the lead a Mersey Royal cross is allowed to bounce in the Upton 6 yard box and Stuart Cossins heads into his own net. The game continued end to end until on 25 minutes a move down the Upton left results in a first time cross to an unmarked forward who scores easily.10 minutes later the whole defence stand still appealing for an offside, which is not given, and The Mersey Royal forward walks through to score. In the second half the Reserves loose all shape and discipline and the Mersey Royal keeper copes well with the shots  from Richard Keen and Carl van Hein. In an effort to recover the deficit some of the side decide mistakenly to wander. Team; J.Price, M.Williams, S.Cossins, N.Jones, M.Jones, M.Crank, D.Carman, C.Van Hein, R.Keen, N.Freeman, Eymond -Jones. Scorer ;M.Crank

Sat 22 October 2011  Upton Res 1 New Brighton Res 1 -  Scorer - Mark Thompson - match report to follow

Sat 29 October 2011 Third Division Shield - Upton Res 4 Neston Nomads 1  - Scorers D Carman 2, J Eymond-Jones 2  -  In this the 1st Round of the 3rd Division League Cup [ Shield] The Reserves began cautiously and for 15 minutes play was even despite the Reserves playing against a strong wind. The first Upton goal took 25 minutes when Dinu Maghici was tripped dribbling in the box. Dave Carman drove the penalty home into the right hand corner of the net. Chances continued when Jon Eymond- Jones went narrowly over after an intelligent move involving Matty Crank and Dinu Maghici. Carl van Hien also shoots wide from inside the box. Neston also have an opportunity to score down the Upton left, but Jamie Price in his third match following illness, saves well and continues to be excellent throughout. Chances for Upton continue, Liam Durcan puts Dinu Maghici through who is denied by a good save. Just on half time another precise cross from Liam Durcan and Eymond - Jones flicks the ball over the keeper into the net. Five minutes into the second half Ionut Boldea replaces a weary Durcan and makes an immediate impression with a series of attacks down the Upton left. As confidence grows so the Upton passing becomes shorter and the ball is retained for longer. A series of passes between Matty Crank and Eymond-Jones across the edge of the Neston penalty area gives Dave Carman the chance to drive into the corner for a 3-0 lead. Five minutes from time a long ball defeats the Neston defence and Eymond-Jones is left alone to score through them keeper's legs.

Sat 5 November 2011 - Bebington2 Upton Res 0 - The Reserves began flat and lethargically and within 5 minutes of the start were a goal down when a through ball caught the central defence on its heels leaving keeper Jamie Price exposed. Bebington continued to create and spurn chances throughout the first half whilst the Upton defence struggled. On 30 minutes Sean Finch, returning from injury, has a fine shot blocked by the Bebington keeper's feet who otherwise was not troubled. Richard Keen late in the first half makes an excellent defensive header facing his own net to keep the score at a fortunate 1-0.The second half brings a significant improvement, Pat Walsh substitutes for an injured Mark Thomson, and within minutes of the restart Richard keen breaks through from mid - field only to fail to beat the keeper. Bebington, however, are still gifted a chance when a poor back pass is seized on for Jamie Price to tip onto the crossbar and be scrambled away. Will Kelly comes on and adds more strength to the side and soon a quick break and Sean Finch cross finds E-Jones just offside. The second half improvement is rewarded on 20 minutes when Carl van Hien is hacked down in the penalty area. Dave Carman drives the penalty wide and the momentum is lost. Late in the second half Bebington score a second with one member of the Upton central defence absent without leave, leaving the Upton keeper stranded. A generally poor performance against a weaker Bebington side who were just more determined. Team; Price, Williams, Cossins, Thomson, Crank, Keen, Finch, Carman, Van Hien, Maghici, E-Jones  Subs; Kelly, Walsh, R.Farrell

Sat 12 November 2011 - Neston Nomads 3 Upton Res 2 - Scorers Nathan Freeman, Jon Eymond-Jones - match report to follow

Sat 19 November 2011 - South Liverpool 3 Upton Res 0 - Against South Liverpool, currently top of the 3rd Division, the Reserves started with a determination lacking in the last two defeats against much weaker opposition. South Liverpool opened the scoring in 10 minutes with a fierce header from a free kick into the Upton penalty area. Despite energetic defence the Reserves were rescued by an excellent save with his feet by Jamie Price. However, the opposition scored a second on 44 minutes and throughout the first half the South Liverpool keeper had nothing to save .On recent form the Reserves looked in for a heavy defeat during the second half, but kept battling and Eymond- Jones missed a rare goalscoring opportunity. Nevertheless the opposition scored a third after a poor defensive header. The South Liverpool side continued to break quickly from mid- field to support any attacks and under this pressure too often the Reserves resorted to hasty clearances only to lose possession. The only other Upton chance was from Vidal Spaine on 40 minutes, but his shot was tipped over. Altogether a determined  performance against a strong side. Team; Price, Williams, Crank, Walsh, Cossins, Boldea, Keen, Carman, Van Hien, Spaine,Eymond-Jones. Subs; Maghici, Ashford.

Sat 26 November 2011 - Merseyside Police 1 Upton Res 1 - Scorer - N Ashford - The Riverside Police ground was aptly named as a gale force wind swept directly down the pitch from the Mersey and was to dominate any football played. Upton opened the first half against the wind and struggled to make any sense of the conditions. Play by both sides was ragged and the Reserves inevitably spent much of the opening minutes in their own half. Eventually a rare through ball along the ground found a square defence out appealing for off side and the Police forward drove into the corner of the net with Jamie Price exposed. Upton attacks in the first half were few, the best of which was an excellent through pass by Dave Carman to Eymond-Jones who was brought down just outside of the penalty area. Meanwhile Jamie Price saves well with his feet and a minute before half time The Police hit the post. Perhaps the Reserves had done well to keep the score down to a single goal with much owed to the back four. Like the opposition, the Reserves failed to take total advantage of the wind and were frustrated by overhit passes and corners taken over by the wind. Nevertheless the whole eleven persevered and a Dave Carman cross to Ionut Boldea found him only just denied. On 40 minutes Eymond - Jones was narrowly wide from a free kick. Finally the side were rewarded when a rare series of passes between Eymond - Jones and substitute James Andrews left Dave Carman with little time, but managed to toe- poke the ball onto the net. Before the final whistle the Police keeper made a spectacular save in his top corner to deny the Reserves a winning score. Team;Price, Williams, Rowland, C.Thompson, Crank, Walsh, van Hien, Carman, Eymond-Jones, Maghici, Boldea. Subs; Ashford, J.Andrews.

Sat 3 December 2011 - Upton Res 5 Mossley Hill Ath 2. Scorers - Maghici, Farrell, Eymond-Jones, Thomson, OG. Scorers Against a Mossley Hill Reserve side near the top of the 3rd Division, Upton were gifted an own goal early in the first half. A second followed from Dinu Maghici to take an early 2-0 lead. As so often this season, the Reserves fail to take advantage of an early lead and concede two goals in the rest of the half to go in at half time - two each. Minor injuries to Pat Walsh and Dinu Maghici necessitated substitution by Ionut Boldea and Ryan Farrell and both were to play a significant role in the second half. Perhaps the turning point came with a third goal from substitute Ryan Farrell. Upton were then to enjoy their best spell of the match and Jon Eymond-Jones was to add a fourth with his left foot. In the final moments of the game Mark Thomson scored a fifth to secure the Reserve's highest score of the season. Team; Price, Williams, Rowland, Cossins, Thomson, Walsh, Crank, P.Carman, Eymond-Jones, Maghici, Freeman. Subs; R.Farrell, Boldea, Lamaitre.

Sat 10 December 2011 - Upton Res 2 Ellesmere Port 0 - Scorers Ryan Farrell, Pat Walsh. In this the quarter final of the Division 3 League Cup, Ellesmere Port started the stronger, but gradually the Reserves improved and following a corner Ryan Farrell, making his first start for the club, scored a spectacular goal with an overhead kick. Ellesmere Port were soon to miss a clear opportunity to equalise and at half time the Reserves were somewhat fortunate to retain a 1-0 lead. Soon after the restart Stuart Cossins missed a great opportunity to increase the lead and later Ryan Farrell netted a second, only to be ruled just offside. Matty Crank, who had worked tirelessly throughout, passed to Pat Walsh who scored off an upright with the keeper left standing. In the last 20 minutes Ellesmere Port increased the pressure but failed to break a resolute defence led by Mark Thomson. All in all an excellent performance by all of the squad.  Team; Price, Ashford, Rowland, Cossins, Thomson, Walsh, Crank, Eymond-Jones, Farrell, Freeman,  Boldea.  Subs; Van Hien,  Maghici, P.Carman

Sat 7 January 2012 New Brighton Res 0 Upton Res 0. The customary New Brighton strong wind blowing straight down the pitch was to influence for the worse the quality of the football played by both sides. Playing with the wind at their backs the Reserves escaped an early goal when New Brighton hit the top of the crossbar in the opening minute. Nevertheless in the remainder of the first half it was the Reserves who enjoyed the most obvious scoring chances. On 15 minutes a long clearance caught by the following wind beat the opposition defence but Mark Thomson hurriedly shot well over the bar, with only the keeper to beat. Later a subtle pass from Mark Thomson at the edge of the penalty area to Ryan Farrell who cleverly back heeled, only to hit the foot of the post and rebound out. Possibly the clearest of all the first half opportunities fell to Stuart Cossins when a corner driven along the ground into the six yard box somehow was mis-kicked. The few chances which fell to New Brighton in the first half were thwarted by excellent handling by Jamie Price and one outstanding save with his feet on 25 minutes. Halftime came with no Upton goals despite the supposed advantage of a strong following wind. Surprisingly, perhaps, New Brighton also found the wind no great advantage in the second half and the Upton back four proved strong and determined with Mark Thomson returning to centre back. Early in the second half an excellent interception and through pass by Steve Rowland found Ryan Farrell whose shot was well saved. Substitutes Jareth Ashbrook and Ryan Cartwright were to make important contributions when coming on after 20 minutes into the second half. Both sides fought hard to secure a winning goal and Jamie Price was to make two important saves, although New Brighton did hit the top of the crossbar near the end. The Reserves also had chances to take a lead but clear chances were squandered by hurried finishing when there was time and space to spare. Nevertheless the whole Reserve side showed great effort even if at times more patience might have been rewarded. Team; Price, Rowland, C.Dunning, Cossins, Thomson, Walsh, Williams, P. Carman, J. Eymond - Jones, Crank. R. Farrell. Subs;  Cartwright, Ashbrook. 

Sat 14 January 2012 Upton Res 2 Ellesmere Port Res 1   The opening 20 minutes were scrappy and both sides were guilty of careless and hurried passing. The first opportunity to score fell to Matty Crank who headed over from a well placed cross from the right. Soon after Ryan Cartwright created a second chance only for the Port keeper to save well. Having previously shown few signs of scoring Ellesmere Port took the lead after 35 minutes When the Upton defence failed to make a challenge from a cross and the attacker's fierce shot left Jamie Price helpless. The remainder of the first half continued with neither side able to string passing movements together. The mid field players were by-passed. Within 5 minutes of the restart Stuart Cossins equalised following a clever chipped cross into the penalty area from Steve Rowland. On 15 minutes the Port hit the post from outside the area, just a reminder they were not finished. Substitutes Carl van Hien and Ionut  Boldea were soon to add some momentum to the Upton attacks and chances were soon to follow. The Reserves took the lead when a flick into the edge of the area found Ryan Cartwright who lobbed over an advancing keeper into the empty net. In the final 15 minutes Ionut Boldea and Dave Carman were to shoot wide and the keeper was to make an outstanding save to deny Ryan Cartwright a second goal. Meanwhile the Upton back four and secure handling in goal by Jamie Price denied the Port any chance to equalise. Team; Price, Walsh, Rowland, Cossins, Thomson, Williams, Crank, Carman, E-Jones, Cartwright, Farrell. Subs; van Hien, Boldea, Maghici.

Sat 28 January 2012. Belfry 3 Upton Res 2. A host of injuries and unexplained last minute withdrawals meant the Reserves travelled to Liverpool with no substitutes and Matty Jones compelled to play for 90 minutes. The Reserves started as if they were still stuck on Runcorn Bridge and were a goal down in 5 minutes, when a quick break down the Upton left and an instant cross left their centre forward unchallenged to place in the corner of the net. It was 15 minutes before the Reserves launched an attack, when Ionut Boldea cut in from the right wing only to shoot well wide. A minute later the first passing movement succeeded in releasing Matty Crank and a sequence of passes to feet right from the keeper gave Dave Carman a chance, only to shoot well wide. Belfry, however, continued to be stronger all round and their quick breaks from defence soon produced a second goal. On 28 minutes Belfry went into a 3-0 lead when a short corner to an unmarked player and a cross was headed home. It was almost half time before the Reserves were to trouble the opposition defence after a long free kick was headed against the foot of the post by Stuart Cossins only to rebound clear.At half time the prospect was only of damage limitation in the second half. However an improvement throughout the team was evident from the start and within minutes of the restart John Eymond-Jones pressured the keeper' clearance and the ball fell to Ryan Farrell who shot wide with the goal empty. Two minutes later a Matty Crank run down the right to the by-line and a cross resulted in a goal from close range for Eymond-Jones. For 15 minutes the Reserves continued to dominate and were rewarded when Eymond-Jones was to score a second after a clever dribble and cross from Ionut Boldea. The Belfry side were now weakening and only once in the second half were to trouble Jamie Price who saved well with his feet. Finishing, however, was hurried as Belfry resorted to hasty clearances. Mysteriously Matty Crank was given a second yellow with 10 minutes to go, but still the Reserves pressed, the final chance to equalise falling to Dave Carman after a move between Carl van Hien and Eymond-Jones. The second half performance alone deserved a draw, but not to be after a slow start. Team; Price, M. Jones, Walsh, Cossins, Williams, Boldea, Carman, van Hien, Crank, R. Farrell, Eymond-Jones. Scorer; Eymond Jones (2)

Sat 18 February 2012. Helsby 6 Upton Res 1 - match report to follow - scorer Eymond-Jones

Sat 25 February 2012. Upton Res 5 Christleton Res 5 - In this a local derby, Christleton Reserves for the first 25 minutes dominated the game and looked as if they would win almost unopposed. In the third minute a quick break from defence gave Christleton a series of chances only for the Upton defence to nervously scramble out for a corner. From that same corner Christleton headed in unchallenged to open the scoring. Within just three minutes Christleton squandered an open goal by shooting over the bar and continued to worry an Upton defence consistently outpaced on both flanks. The mayhem continued when Christleton scored a second, from a shot from the edge of the box into the corner of the net. Some consolation came on 27 minutes after an excellent run down the right wing and cross from Nathan Freeman and an error by the keeper gave Ryan Farrell a simple tap in. Soon after, however, Christleton missed another clear chance with the Upton defence again undone. More relief came just before half time, when John Eymond- Jones picked a pass thirty yards out and with no options to pass hit a fierce drive into the corner of the net with the keeper rooted to the spot so at half time the score was a surprising two each. The second half starts differently from the first when Ryan Farrell from a through ball turns well and places past the keeper for his second goal and an Upton 3 - 2 lead. However, Jamie Price continues to be busy tipping over a volley and saving a shot across the goal but all in vain as Christleton soon equalise to make it 3-3.The Reserves improve considerably in this period as Nathan Freeman scores directly from a corner to create 4-3 lead. Within seconds Christleton break quickly again to level the score. Although the balance of play is even Christleton take a 5 -4 lead, but the Reserves are strengthened by substitutions and after Dave Carman heads over from a corner , Ionut Boldea is soon tripped in the penalty area, 5 minutes from full time. John Eymond-Jones scores from the spot to level the scores at 5 each. So a remarkable game ends with ten goals and the points shared.   Team; Price, Williams, Ashford, Cossins, Thomson, Walsh, Jones, Carman, Eymond-Jones, R.Farrell, Freeman. Subs; Boldea, LaMaitre. Scorers. R.Farrell [2] Eymond-Jones[2] Freeman [1]

Sat 10 March 2012. Upton Res 3 Hale 2 - Scorers Ryan Farrell, Nathan Freeman. Kevin Clutton - report to follow

Sat 17 March 2012. Complete Focus Shield. Mossley Hill 4 Upton Res 1 - Scorer Dave Carman . In this the semi-final of the West Cheshire Shield [i.e. 3rd Division League Cup] Mossley Hill Reserves dominated possession in the first ten minutes and Upton Reserves were second to everything. They were rewarded early when a drive from the edge of the box was deflected past a helpless Jamie Price in goal. Slowly the Reserves began to compete but created only two scoring chances throughout the first half. First from a corner Dave Carman headed over from close range unchallenged at the far post. Later from a long Steve Cossins free kick, Nathan Freeman attempted a first time sliding half volley but was wide. The remainder of the half the Reserve's defence and a busy Patrick Walsh in mid-field kept Mossley Hill at bay but only just. Chris Dunning returning to centre half was assured just as Stuart Cossins was always busy. The second half opened much as the first, with constant Mossley Hill possession. The Reserves persisted with long high balls to a tall Mossley Hill central defence who dominated in the air, frustrating the Upton forwards. Nevertheless no more goals came until 15 minutes from time and in heavy rain when the defence finally buckled and Mossley Hill scored two goals in quick succession. Although the contest was now over, Dave Carman scored from an exceptional free kick from the edge of the penalty area, beating the wall and a stationary keeper. It may have been the only shot on goal he had been faced with all game. In the final minutes Mossley Hill added a fourth goal with the Upton defence having gone walkabout.     Team; Price, Williams, Ashford, C.Dunning. Cossins, Carman, Walsh, Van Hien, Freeman, R.Farrell, Eymond-Jones.  Subs; Crank, Boldea, M.Jones.

Sat 24 March 2012. Upton 1 South Liverpool 2 - scorer Ryan Farrell - The League leaders started strongly with a prolonged series of attacks down the right hand side of the Upton defence. For 30 minutes they proved quicker to the loose ball and Ellis Dunning and Steve McGowan in central defence were kept busy. Finally on 35 minutes South Liverpool were rewarded with a penalty and took a deserved lead. The second half substitutes Ionut Boldea, Dinu Maghici and Carl van Hien were to make a significant difference with more inter-passing and control of the ball. Meanwhile Jamie Price in goal remained secure to both shots and crosses. The second half improvement led to an equalizer when Ionut Boldea was fouled just inside the box by the South Liverpool keeper. Ryan Brown calmly scored the penalty. Upton's goal scoring opportunities were, however, scarce and the opposition continued to be quicker to the loose ball and stronger in the air. They were eventually to take the lead from a corner to the far post headed unchallenged across the goal to drop in the opposite unguarded corner. Despite determined efforts the Reserves never created any real chances to equalize in the final quarter. Team; Price, Williams, E.Dunning, McGowan, Crank, Fellows, Keen, Wallace, Eymond-Jones, Brown, Spaine.  Subs; Van Hien, Maghici, Boldea.

 Monday 26 March 2012. Upton Res 1 Chester Nomads Res 0. Scorer J Eymond-Jones. The Reserves started well and played the ball to feet and Eymond-Jones in particular was an early threat to the Nomads. A quick thrust down the left and a cross by him found Dave Carman on the edge of the box who shot narrowly wide. Chances continued when from a Nathan Freeman in-swinging corner the ball was allowed to bounce, but Dave Carman headed over. Nomads also came close when from a free kick Jamie Price was challenged in the air, looses the ball, only to recover and make a fine save. Many of the Nomad's attacks were countered by the defence with Patrick Walsh in charge. More Upton chances were to follow before half time and Darren Wallace was prominent in everything. He headed just over from a Steve Rowland cross on 35 minutes and later shot just over from the edge of the box from a clever Eymond-Jones back heel. Within seconds of the restart Nomads headed against the far Upton post with the keeper beaten. Minutes later Matty Crank dribbles down the right to the line, pulls the ball back to Nathan Freeman whose shot is guided in from close range by Eymond-Jones. For much of the remainder of the second half the Reserves persist in long clearances, but Nomads win most of the aerial battles and regain possession. Fortunately the defence holds out and maintain a rare clean sheet.Team; Price, Williams, Rowland, Cossins, Walsh, Wallace, Crank, Carman, Eymond-Jones, Freeman, van Hien. Subs; R.Farrell, Boldea.

Tuesday 10 April 2012. Upton Res 3 Manor Athletic Res 2 - scorers Darren Wallace and John Eymond-Jones (2). Despite the inclusion of Todd Reid and Darren Wallace in the centre of mid - field Manor took an early lead after only ten minutes, when the Manor centre forward fired a shot into the corner of the net leaving Jamie Price helpless. However Jon Eymond-Jones equalised soon after with an outstanding drive into the far corner from an acute angle and only just inside the box. Manor failed to take a lead when after a blatant offside was missed by the official only for Price to block with his feet and eventually clear. Yet just before half time a Manor free kick from the right touch line was allowed to drop under the crossbar and into the net. Upton reply soon after, when a Steve Rowland free kick rebounds from the crossbar, falls to Pat Walsh to lob to Darren Wallace who heads a bouncing ball over the keeper. The second half remains competitive with play from end to end with the Upton mid-field increasingly effective and chances falling to the Reserves in the final period. On 85 minutes a Carl van Hien cross is headed out but falls to Todd Reid who drives wide. With time running out Andy Lloyd ,as a substitute, is fouled in the area and flops convincingly. From the resultant penalty Jon Eymond-Jones scores emphatically to complete an outstanding individual performance. Team; Price, Crank, Walsh, Cossins, Rowland, Van Hien, Reed, Wallace, Boldea, R.Farrell, E-Jones. Subs; A. Eymond, Hughes, Lloyd. 

Thursday 19 April 2012. Mossley Hill Athletic Res 4 Upton Res 2 - Scorers and match report to follow

Sat 28 April 2012, Upton Res 2 Capenhurst 1 - scorers J Eymond-Jones and Ryan Farrell. The first half was largely uneventful with few goal scoring opportunities for either side and constant interruptions for free kicks. Upton's only real shot on goal came after 15 minutes when a fierce shot by Dave Carman was well saved by the Capenhurst keeper. On 35 minutes  Capenhurst were reduced to 10 men, a player being sent off for persistent fouls. However, it was Capenhurst who came closest to scoring just before half time when some in the Upton defence went absent without leave. The second half began with an Upton player being sent off. It was after this that the Reserves played their best football of the match with Mike Hughes and Todd Reid prominent. On 30 minutes into the second half the Reserves scored as good a goal as seen all season. Ryan Farrell beat two defenders along the by-line and chipped a deliberate cross to E-Jones who headed home. Capenhurst were soon to equalize when an attempted defensive back header fell way short of the Upton keeper for an eager forward to score. However within a minute the Reserves took the lead again when this time E-Jones crossed to the far post for Ryan Farrell to squeeze the ball in the net for a deserved win. Team; Price, Cossins, Walsh, Hughes, Rowland, Crank, Carman, Reid, Van Hien, J Eymond-Jones, R. Farrell. Subs; M.Williams, A. Eymond- Jones.

Wed 1 May Upton Res 2 Merseyside Police 4 - scorers S Cossins and D Wallace. The game opened with two goals for the opposition in the first 7 minutes. Almost from the first whistle the Reserves defence was outpaced down the left resulting in a cross and precise shot into the net. To add insult to injury soon after a faulty back pass left the keeper helpless and a routine tap in for the Police. From this careless start the Reserves recovered soon when a long cross to the far post was headed home by Stuart Cossins. Finally his own brand of libero style play had paid off. Later in the first half a Steve Rowland's corner was narrowly headed over by Darren Wallace and Stuart libero Cossins had yet a second header from a corner well saved. The second half began with an Upton sending off, the second in consecutive matches. The Reserves did not concede another goal until 25 minutes when a long throw fell to an attacker on the edge of the box who volleyed into the net for a 3-1 Police lead. Despite being down to ten men the Reserves continued to compete, none more than Darren Wallace who lobbed a header over the Police keeper for a second Upton goal. However only 5 minutes from the end the Police scored a fourth goal with a fierce shot from the edge of the box to put the result beyond doubt,    Team; M. Jones, M.Williams, Wright, Cossins, Rowland, Van Hien, Wallace, Carman, Sweeney, R.Farrell, Eymond-Jones.       Subs. Hughes, Boldea, A. Eymond- Jones.